Notices

I'm an alcoholic

Old 07-22-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic

So I guess I just need to admit it. All this time I have been "trying" to quit drinking, but what I have really been doing is hoping I could control it. The thing is, a few times when I drink I can control it (somewhat) and then it fools my brain into thinking I can always do that, which I can't.

So I admit it, I am an alcoholic. I can't control it. I am a binge drinker and I have been keeping track of how many days sober and how many days I drink and I drink about 1/3 of the time. (With some effort of trying to quit all the time, of course).

But when I do drink it's too much, although not always and that is where I fool myself. I am here to finally admit that I am an alcoholic. I can't control it and I have one of two choices: Keep drinking or quit.

So I am choosing to quit. Today is Day One and I could use all the support you all can offer.

Any advice on what to do that is fun to fill my sober time would be appreciated and just what anyone else has done to get sober I would like to know, especially in the first week or two which I know will probably be the hardest.

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Mabel!

Congrats on your first day of sobriety! For me, everything I do now is way better and more fun because I can actually remember it in the morning! Deciding to stop is great, but as you've already stated, you've tried the whole time! That's exactly how my drinking was. I would binge drink, swear I never would drink again only to pickup again every 2-3 weeks!

This is a disease and we have to treat it like one! I finally humbled myself and went to AA as suggested to me from a friend and now I almost have 3 months sober! It took me truly hitting rock bottom for me to ask for help. Admitting and accepting are key and then we MUST take action!

Glad you're here!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mabel. You're in the right spot! Keep coming and posting.. it helps!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Day one here as well. I am planning to take up excersise as from tomorrow to keep busy. Bu today is hard, I feel like **** and canīt really do anything. Just waiting for the day to end.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

h
Originally Posted by Mabel4 View Post
So I guess I just need to admit it. All this time I have been "trying" to quit drinking, but what I have really been doing is hoping I could control it. The thing is, a few times when I drink I can control it (somewhat) and then it fools my brain into thinking I can always do that, which I can't.

So I admit it, I am an alcoholic. I can't control it. I am a binge drinker and I have been keeping track of how many days sober and how many days I drink and I drink about 1/3 of the time. (With some effort of trying to quit all the time, of course).

But when I do drink it's too much, although not always and that is where I fool myself. I am here to finally admit that I am an alcoholic. I can't control it and I have one of two choices: Keep drinking or quit.

So I am choosing to quit. Today is Day One and I could use all the support you all can offer.

Any advice on what to do that is fun to fill my sober time would be appreciated and just what anyone else has done to get sober I would like to know, especially in the first week or two which I know will probably be the hardest.

Thanks everyone.
Welcome aboard, good decision. I can relate to where you said "I only drink about 1/3 of the time." I used to count my sober days v. drunk days and if I was at a certain ratio, I rationalized that it wasn't that bad. I would say "I've only drank 8 out of the last 18 days, not even half, I have it under control." Nevermind that on those 8 days I had 10-20 drinks each time, and called out of work one day because I was so hungover I couldn't even move, and created numerous new problems in my life because of actions taken on the drunk days. That's the nightmare of pattern binge drinking. There is escape from that in sobriety, I've found it so far, a better way to live.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone and I can relate to your post SoberHoopsFan. EXACTLY what I do. Try to rationalize it, "I've had X drinks this week, it isn't that bad, I'm not as bad as other people." Good grief. I had to laugh at your post, it sounds so much like me.

How long have you been sober SoberHoopsFan?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey Mabel! and welcome!!!
I'm (was) a binge drinker like yourself so your post resonated with me. I had times where I could control/moderate just fine. Things would be AOK. But then...there were the times that there was absolutely NO control/moderating and it was utter, mass chaos and destruction. Days lost. Withdrawls that I thought were going to kill me.
The last year or so...the binges started getting closer together...they started lasting longer and blackouts just became commonplace. It started seeping into my work life. I got my 2nd DUI in May. I don't even recall buying the booze that set that binge off. I have no recollection of it. Scary crap!!!
WHOA - talk about progressive or what! Didn't see that coming a mile away!!!!
I said to my counsellor recently "I cannot guarantee that every time I drink something bad will happen BUT I CAN guarantee every time something bad did happen...I WAS drinking" Every.time.

Hope you find the strength on this board that I have. Day 72 here
Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Jupiters. Well, my "control" is having 7 beers. That's the control side. LOL. My "out of control" is having 10 or 12. I mean really, like 7 beers is controlling it?????

It's sad that something that has caused me so much misery is so hard to give up. This part I don't understand. You would think that with all the misery I have had from drinking, (feeling bad, saying nasty things to people, not remembering WHAT I said or did, etc.) that this would be easier to quit.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone and I can relate to your post SoberHoopsFan. EXACTLY what I do. Try to rationalize it, "I've had X drinks this week, it isn't that bad, I'm not as bad as other people." Good grief. I had to laugh at your post, it sounds so much like me.

How long have you been sober SoberHoopsFan?
Day 45, still new to recovery but finally thinking clearly and have more of a handle on my addiction. This is the longest I have been sober in over a decade. You will meet people in all stages of recovery on this website, some just starting out and some with years of sobriety. Lot of good advice here!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
h

Welcome aboard, good decision. I can relate to where you said "I only drink about 1/3 of the time." I used to count my sober days v. drunk days and if I was at a certain ratio, I rationalized that it wasn't that bad. I would say "I've only drank 8 out of the last 18 days, not even half, I have it under control." Nevermind that on those 8 days I had 10-20 drinks each time, and called out of work one day because I was so hungover I couldn't even move, and created numerous new problems in my life because of actions taken on the drunk days. That's the nightmare of pattern binge drinking. There is escape from that in sobriety, I've found it so far, a better way to live.
Sounds like me. Backup up even further, no non-alcoholic has those stats readily available in his head, i.e. "I have only drank 8 of the past 18 days". It's best to accept who we are.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Jupiters. Well, my "control" is having 7 beers. That's the control side. LOL. My "out of control" is having 10 or 12. I mean really, like 7 beers is controlling it?????

It's sad that something that has caused me so much misery is so hard to give up. This part I don't understand. You would think that with all the misery I have had from drinking, (feeling bad, saying nasty things to people, not remembering WHAT I said or did, etc.) that this would be easier to quit.
LOL I hear you.
You mean it wasn't normal for people to drink a 1.5L a night????!!
well, colour me stupid.

we're here now though
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy View Post
Sounds like me. Backup up even further, no non-alcoholic has those stats readily available in his head, i.e. "I have only drank 8 of the past 18 days". It's best to accept who we are.
I should have known that by adding checkmarks on my calendar of days I DIDN'T drink, was probably not a normal thing to do.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
I should have known that by adding checkmarks on my calendar of days I DIDN'T drink, was probably not a normal thing to do.
Or the thing that I've done more times than I can count.. put rules on my drinking to try and moderate. I.E.:

1. Only drink at home (or conversely, only drink in public)
2. Only drink 12 Coors Light beer or less
3. Drink only between 5pm and 11pm
4. Don't text anyone while drinking. No FB, Twitter, etc. either.
5. Only drink on weekends

Etc etc etc.. I always broke my rules so I don't know why I wrote them out in the first place. I guess now I can say I tried to moderate and failed (about a thousand times).
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Mabel - I'm so glad you joined us. You've come to a wonderful & encouraging place.

I wasted decades of my life insisting I could control my drinking - so it could be fun again. Well, it's never going to be anything but a nightmare. My 'control' led me to 24/7 drinking and complete dependency. You are doing the right thing - congratulations on your choice!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Or the thing that I've done more times than I can count.. put rules on my drinking to try and moderate. I.E.:

Etc etc etc.. I always broke my rules so I don't know why I wrote them out in the first place. I guess now I can say I tried to moderate and failed (about a thousand times).
probably made us feel like we actually had some control over it in a weird, twisted NO sense kinda way.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Really, it's so funny you guys. If I don't laugh, I'll cry and you have to laugh.

I can so relate HockeyGuy. Last night it was "only drink 7 beers." It ended up being 10.

I have done the "only start drinking at 7 p.m." That didn't work either.

Only drink on WEDNESDAY! Because it's the middle of the week and three days sober and one drinking and three more days sober is "normal." LOL

Stop drinking two or three days before a meeting with a client (that I would be nervous about so I wanted to be sober), but CELEBRATE! after by drinking X amount of beers for doing such a good job.

Only drink on Friday or Saturday nights.

Buy X amount of beers and don't get anymore at the bar down the street. (That didn't work either).

You are right Jupiters, it made us feel like we had control in some weird twisted way, but my "rules" never really worked for me either.

Yep, alcoholic.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yep, mine were "no drinking Mon-Thurs.", "only drink beer, no liquor," "don't drink alone," "don't drink before 5 pm,". No matter what rules I made, even if I followed them for a week, I shattered them completely at some point. Eventually, I sort of settled on "this is who I am, I drink, it's what I was meant to do." That eliminated some of the guilt for a while, although my life was basically in shambles.

Not drinking is so much simpler. It's freedom from all that insanity.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Not drinking is so much simpler. It's freedom from all that insanity.
It really is. Well put.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. There's lots of support here.