SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   To Thine Own Self Be True - Your interpretation please (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/339707-thine-own-self-true-your-interpretation-please.html)

Fly N Buy 07-22-2014 04:21 AM

To Thine Own Self Be True - Your interpretation please

Many years ago when my Mom passed I came across a journal she had started about her four children, of which I am the youngest. The journal only had a few entries - seemed like one for each child. My siblings entries were about a paragraph in length. My entry simple stated "To Thine Own self be true". The date of the entry corresponds to when I was around 10-12 years old. Did my Mom realize at that early point in my life I was a fraud or lost?? I will never know for certain.

Fast forward 30 + years in my life and new to AA and recovery. Noticed on first chip I received that phrase from Shakespeare. My interpretation is self honesty and evaluation - know yourself. This is a concept for me that is still bewildering and a huge challenge.

Would love to hear comments from others on their interpretation and what it means in their lives.

Thanks,
Flynbuy

pavaoiztarza 07-22-2014 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Flynbuy (Post 4794356)
Many years ago when my Mom passed I came across a journal she had started about her four children, of which I am the youngest. The journal only had a few entries - seemed like one for each child. My siblings entries were about a paragraph in length. My entry simple stated "To Thine Own self be true". The date of the entry corresponds to when I was around 10-12 years old. Did my Mom realize at that early point in my life I was a fraud or lost?? I will never know for certain.

Fast forward 30 + years in my life and new to AA and recovery. Noticed on first chip I received that phrase from Shakespeare. My interpretation is self honesty and evaluation - know yourself. This is a concept for me that is still bewildering and a huge challenge.

Would love to hear comments from others on their interpretation and what it means in their lives.

Thanks,
Flynbuy

I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'

That is the statement I propose you meditate on.

trachemys 07-22-2014 05:23 AM

Thanks,
Flynbuy

I haven't a clue what your mother meant by that quote. The context of the moment that inspired her to inscribe it is lost to us all.

Unless she was prescient.

To Thine Own Self Be True | Psychology Today

Aellyce 07-22-2014 05:26 AM

Hi Flynbuy,

I have not encountered this in AA, but through my studies of philosophy and literature when I was much younger and many times since. Here is a website that investigates it, if you are interested in different sources:
Know Thyself | Man's Ancient Quest for Self Knowledge

Your Shakespeare quote is also right there if you scroll down the menu at the right hand side.

Fly N Buy 07-22-2014 05:47 AM

haennie,

Great link! As I humbly attempt to give up self will and am hopefully for direction of God's will in my life it has set me on a course ( sober ) of self discovery among other things. The site you shared a link for appears to be exactly what I needed to help with this journey. It's nice to know the question has been asked for thousands of years!

Thank you for taking the time to share this.
Flynbuy

Fly N Buy 12-09-2014 08:16 PM

Thanks,
Flynbuy

I posted the above thread on day 22 of sobriety. Today is day 184 / 6 months.

It is with continuing vigilance I am optimistic this path I started walking last June will stay brightly lit for many, many years to come.

Accepting there are seasons in life and maturely embracing the turning of leaves with joy in my heart for the grace of sobriety now defines the journey.

However brief this tender - precious time, It is only with the support of friends on SR and in the rooms with grace from all, that I been brought to this point.

I update this thread not for self aggrandizement, but as a message of hope for others who have opened the door. You will never regret taking the journey, and we are all so worth it.

Willingness and desire are the keys that unlock the chains releasing us from bondage. It is a struggle of truth over lies, light over darkness and life over death. We have been given a choice and our destiny is as yet unwritten.

Please consider loving yourself and those who above all reason love you as well. Time is short, opportunities are but shadows that may not been seen twice.

To Thine Own Self be True!!!
Warm Regards, and many thanks.......
FlyNBuy

awuh1 12-09-2014 08:47 PM

This above all- to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

This is from Hamlet Act I, Scene 3

In the context of that play, it is a long winded parents most important advice to a child.

Congrats on 6 months.

MariahGayle 12-09-2014 08:59 PM

Fabulous on 6 Months!

Dee74 12-09-2014 09:03 PM

Congrats Flynbuy :)

D

Ruby2 12-10-2014 04:35 AM

Congratulations on six months Flynby! That's great.

Thank you for updating the original post because I missed it the first time around but it has given me food for thought. I don't know why your mother posted those words to you but I can apply those to my son, who at nine really does March to the beat of his own drummer. If he is true and honest with himself he can do many things. Don't be influenced by the messages from others to go against what you know to be your best interests. Know that you are special, a good person and go from there.

Again,thanks. And good job on six months. It really is a remarkable journey, isn't it?

bunnezjp 12-10-2014 05:43 AM

Honor your values and **** the rest.

Bunnez

Magellan 12-10-2014 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Flynbuy (Post 5067708)
I posted the above thread on day 22 of sobriety. Today is day 184 / 6 months.

It is with continuing vigilance I am optimistic this path I started walking last June will stay brightly lit for many, many years to come.

Accepting there are seasons in life and maturely embracing the turning of leaves with joy in my heart for the grace of sobriety now defines the journey.

However brief this tender - precious time, It is only with the support of friends on SR and in the rooms with grace from all, that I been brought to this point.

I update this thread not for self aggrandizement, but as a message of hope for others who have opened the door. You will never regret taking the journey, and we are all so worth it.

Willingness and desire are the keys that unlock the chains releasing us from bondage. It is a struggle of truth over lies, light over darkness and life over death. We have been given a choice and our destiny is as yet unwritten.

Please consider loving yourself and those who above all reason love you as well. Time is short, opportunities are but shadows that may not been seen twice.

To Thine Own Self be True!!!
Warm Regards, and many thanks.......
FlyNBuy

Truth over lies, light over darkness and life over death.
This post speaks volumes and will definitely be read and re-read many times over.
Thank you.

JanieJ 12-10-2014 09:47 AM

Thank you for reposting that, Fly. Many congrats on 6 months my friend. :grouphug:

Soberpotamus 12-10-2014 09:50 AM

Woo hoo, Fly... six months! :You_Rock_

hopeful4 12-10-2014 09:51 AM

I think it is especially meaningful in AA b/c you are coming out of denial, so I think it's saying above all else, be true to YOU.

Fishinainteasy 12-10-2014 12:10 PM

To me. It's A. Not Letting your own heart lie to you
Or B. Letting others dictate your life. My own abbreviated version.

Soberwolf 12-10-2014 03:51 PM

Big congrats Fly im so glad your here bud 6 months is awesome

CAPTAINZING2000 12-10-2014 04:05 PM

The Man In The Glass
Peter Dale Wimbrow Sr.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

This poem was first published in 1934 and is still very popular today.

Notimetoloose 12-10-2014 04:32 PM

Congratulations 6 months is great going...inspirational.

HeartsAfire 12-13-2014 08:37 PM

Hellloooooo

Little late in my congrats but the sentiments are still strong.

I'm so proud for you, friend. I'm also honored to be here with you. I take something from pretty much everything you post - you're spot on with your ESH. I think you're the tops!

Keep on blazing a trail!