Notices

The Beast won

Old 07-22-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Cleomie

Think about what you need to add now to what you've been doing...more support, using that support more effectively? coming up with better ways of dealing with emotions? lifestyle changes?
D
Old 07-22-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForgetfulKevin View Post
I used to drink while cooking (never on a full stomach), so dinner got made around 11 PM, which was fine with me at the time, as I wanted to drink all evening. But I often missed work the next day.

So these days I do a lot of microwave cooking or one-pot cooking with minimal prep time. I have a little something like pretzels or baby carrots if I'm hungry before dinner is made.

Plus as you mention, there's also take-out.

Glad you got back on the sober bus so quickly!
This was a lifesaver for me in the beginning. I'd make sure I knew EXACTLY what was for dinner ahead of time and I'd desperately cook it as quickly as possible when I got home. I even got an exercise bike to jump on to keep me otherwise occupied. To me, cooking time, was drinking time. It was REALLY hard in the beginning.

I'd get my tummy full of food to kill my desire to drink and promptly turn the kitchen light off. It was like shop was closed for the night. It was my first step towards making small changes to my routine to avoid associating actions with alcohol.

Brings back a lot of memories, but goes to show, over time, you don't even think of these things.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can use this experience to strengthen your sobriety.