Notices

Long term health

Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long term health

I was hospitalized months ago after binging. I stayed in the ICU for 3 days because my heart rate was low and irregular. I was told that it was most likely due to my heavy drinking and it could be permanently damaged. It probably doesn't help that my drink of choice is Jager and redbull(the infamous jager bomb). I still experience heart palpitations, which scares the you know what out of me every time I feel it. I'm sure that is causing a lot of my anxiety. Anyone else suffering long term health issues?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Had palpatations after i quit. A good multi vitamin supplement and a b complex really helped.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Our bodies are pretty resilient to a point. Have you seen a regular doctor since your last stint in detox?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not that I know of. I totally neglected my health for the decades I drank. Some of that will come back to bite me in the a$$ eventually I'm sure. But luckily I didn't fry my liver or anything. And I'm still alive so far!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a bad home detox - stroked out a little, so yeah I'll carry the legacy of that around with me for good.

I still lead a full productive life tho and nothing I've got is terminal, so it's all good

I hope you'll find, like the majority of the folks here, that you'll have no significant long term effects ProudDaddy

D
Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have T2 diabetes and coronary heart disease, but both were diagnosed before my drinking became a problem. Still, they are two issues I will have to manage for the rest of my life. Being sober makes that possible, as both problems are very manageable with diet, exercise and medication.

In your situation, I would suggest a long talk with your Family Doc. and he/she may recommend a visit with a cardiologist. If you're still drinking, it's time to put the bottle away and start living the good life.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Most of my health issues cleared up after quitting, the body is a fantastic machine if given the chance!!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Our bodies are pretty resilient to a point. Have you seen a regular doctor since your last stint in detox?

No I haven't seen a regular doctor in months. I lost my insurance when I lost my job. I have a couple things lined up for the very near future so I am hoping to get in soon.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ProudDaddy View Post
No I haven't seen a regular doctor in months. I lost my insurance when I lost my job. I have a couple things lined up for the very near future so I am hoping to get in soon.
You might consider checking into a free or reduced cost heath clinic , there is actually more than one in Madison, one is through UW medical school.

Working on your sobriety is one thing, but your health is another. I know when I initially quit drinking I had some pretty out of whack bloodwork and there were some simple diet changes I was able to make to correct. Not saying that's the case with you, but if you do have health concerns you should try and see a health professional.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think I'll get a vitamin supplement today. I know that my potassium levels have been dangerously low on several occasions. Also, I do know of a clinic that I could be seen at called Access. Thank you for the advice.