SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Tapering? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/339663-tapering.html)

megan86 07-21-2014 05:22 PM

Tapering?

Hi everyone - while I've googled a bunch and think I have a good idea of what a safe taper is like, can anyone supplement with personal stories? I finished a bottle of vodka earlier this afternoon and the shaky hands are already setting in. I know I should taper with beer - and I don't even particularly like beer so it should be easier - but any tips or success stories would be very helpful.

note also i have a benzo prescription which i think ought to help and also make things a bit safer.

thank you all so much already i can't say how much better it's making me feel to be able to keep clicking refresh here and not feeling so alone.

least 07-21-2014 05:24 PM

I was only successful at tapering once, then went back to drinking anyway...:( I would think you wouldn't need to taper if you have a scrip for benzos. That should take care of many withdrawal symptoms itself. And I hope you're not taking them while you're still drinking.

megan86 07-21-2014 05:28 PM

no, definitely not - if i have so much as half a klonopin when drinking i black out immediately in ways that are too scary for me to continue.

i also know that i'm self-medicating anxiety with the booze when i'm supposed to just take a klonopin each morning. so i'm AVOIDING TAKING THE STUFF I'M MEDICALLY PRESCRIBED FOR MY ANXIETY for the sake of alcohol. even though i know the kpin actually helps more with the anxiety than my getting trashed all the time. sigh. i feel like such an idiot

Anna 07-21-2014 05:28 PM

Tapering never worked for me, at least not for long. It was always one step forward and two steps backward. I truly believe it is far less painful to stop drinking than to taper off.

megan86 07-21-2014 05:31 PM

i'm legitimately concerned about dangerous withdrawal symptoms though - and don't have any clue as to what risk i'm actually at for that, and am too embarrassed / don't have good medical access or support to go through any sort of detox or medical process. i feel so stupid and ashamed.

Raider 07-21-2014 05:40 PM

I'm not sure you will find any successful tapers around here. Why are you tapering anyway? You have the stuff to avoid the worst of the withdrawals, now stop drinking. Why are you fooling around with this Megan?

Wastinglife 07-21-2014 05:42 PM

I tapered off a bender a few times to ease the withdrawal symptoms. But, I was still an alcoholic and couldn't completely stop. Within days I was back to drinking like I was before. I needed professional help to really get sober.

Dee74 07-21-2014 05:42 PM

Hi Megan

I'm going to give you the same advice again I'm afraid.

There's no safer option that seeing your Dr. See a different one if it's that embarrassing for you.

I could never taper - how do you find control over the very thing you can't control?

I know tapering is a favoured method of various harm minimisation sites. I also know that some Drs prescribe tapering especially in the UK...but honestly if you don't know what you're doing, it may be no safer than cold turkey.

D

megan86 07-21-2014 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Raider (Post 4793631)
Why are you fooling around with this Megan?

i don't know, i've never tried to stop drinking before and i'm concerned, which is why i'm genuinely asking for advice :(

RevivingOphelia 07-21-2014 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by megan86 (Post 4793638)
i don't know, i've never tried to stop drinking before and i'm concerned, which is why i'm genuinely asking for advice :(

Why not ask your (a) doctor for advice? It's the safest way.

Embarrassment shouldn't prevent you from seeking medical assistance if you are concerned.

KAD 07-21-2014 05:48 PM

Tapering worked only once for me. I celebrated my success by having a few extra drinks. Talk about stupid...

Tapering never worked again. I went to the doctor and was prescribed benzos. They got me through the withdrawals and eliminated the madness of trying to taper off an addiction with the very substance to which I'm addicted. I would advise taking the meds you've been prescribed to do this the smarter and safer way.

megan86 07-21-2014 05:56 PM

ok, thanks all. i'm prescribed the klonopin for anxiety and am supposed to take one daily, but haven't taken it in weeks because i've been drinking too much. will it really help with the withdrawals? i'm sorry for being such a stupid baby but i'm genuinely worried as i've never done this before.

DOCBOM 07-21-2014 06:00 PM

I would be very careful Friend……….I was a heavy drinker, tried tapper off with little beer and benzos (Xanax) after 3 days of nothing I had a seizure. Shake and bake for a few days and be done with it or go to a detox. I do realize it’s easier said than done. Hang in there you can beat this..

KAD 07-21-2014 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by megan86 (Post 4793659)
ok, thanks all. i'm prescribed the klonopin for anxiety and am supposed to take one daily, but haven't taken it in weeks because i've been drinking too much. will it really help with the withdrawals? i'm sorry for being such a stupid baby but i'm genuinely worried as i've never done this before.

Klonopin is a benzo, but I would definitely check with your doctor as to its effectiveness for alcohol withdrawal, and to see if the dosage you've been prescribed is appropriate for that purpose. I was prescribed Librium, which worked very well.

But please do stop calling yourself names. Your fear is not unwarranted. Addiction can scare the crap out of you. Ending it can be equally scary. That's why I finally went for help. Go easy on yourself, OK? You're gonna be alright. :)

least 07-21-2014 06:02 PM

Benzos are commonly prescribed for w/d to ease the anxiety and the risk of seizures. Can you call your doctor - or any doctor - and ask them how to take the klonopin to treat alcohol w/d. Tapering is useless. Not to mention very difficult.

Raider 07-21-2014 06:39 PM

I have used KPin for withdrawals. Detox was a breeze.

megan86 07-21-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by GetMeOut (Post 4793668)
But please do stop calling yourself names. Your fear is not unwarranted. Addiction can scare the crap out of you. Ending it can be equally scary. That's why I finally went for help. Go easy on yourself, OK? You're gonna be alright. :)

thank you so much for this. it's so hard to break the cycle of shame and self-loathing, let alone convince myself that it'll all be okay.

thenewjenn 07-21-2014 07:00 PM

I tried to taper but the withdrawal symptoms wouldn't stop. I couldn't taper. I ended up going to the ER. They gave me fluids and a script for enough Librium to get me through. The Librium worked so well!

Good luck

sugarbear1 07-21-2014 07:05 PM

Talk with your doctor for a proper detox.

:)

Tonymblue 07-21-2014 07:30 PM

Ive never had any luck tapering. Always ended up drunk again. IMO i would see your doctor if your worried about withdrawals. They are nothing to mess around with. Good luck, stay strong and do this.