Notices

Always have to make others laugh

Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Always have to make others laugh

I will have a few beers at home when nobody is home except wife and kids, but if its a social function ,look out my main objective is to get drunk and make people laugh by doing stupid ****, my wife is a saint I don't know how she has put up with me for all these years. Ive been the LIFE of the party since I was 15 and still today at 45.. I need to quit I made the decision july 12th 2014 to quit.. I thought it would be easy but its not,I cant believe how much I think about it...good lord this is stupid
Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey bowzer, Welcome to the Forum!!

Nothing worth doing is easy in life, it's gonna be hard work, but it'll be worth it!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! It's great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So you have been sober since July 12? Excellent.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can still clown around sober, right? I know I can. Craig Ferguson has been sober for years.

Congrats on deciding to quit!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome and great choice signing up here. Be determined and patient, it's worth it. I used to drink for years because I always wanted to be 'fun' Turns out drink doesn't actually make you fun - if makes you loud and slurry. It's you that makes you fun. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bowzer, I was the same way. I was the ultimate party animal. I was in a frat in college and would routinely win the keg stand competitions. I was always the loudest and funniest and relished being the center of attention. This starts to wear thin though when you approach 30 and social engagements stop being a venue for binge drinking and stupid antics. Since I entered recovery, I am having flashbacks of times where I was acting so inappropiate to the setting (ie. Weddings, office parties).
Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome!!

I'm actually finding myself quite goofier sober
Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bowzer View Post
I will have a few beers at home when nobody is home except wife and kids, but if its a social function ,look out my main objective is to get drunk and make people laugh by doing stupid ****, my wife is a saint I don't know how she has put up with me for all these years. Ive been the LIFE of the party since I was 15 and still today at 45.. I need to quit I made the decision july 12th 2014 to quit.. I thought it would be easy but its not,I cant believe how much I think about it...good lord this is stupid
Can't see a problem in making others laugh, I have been the drunk clown of the party for years also, this weekend was my first time sober in a long time, I wasn't drunk and making a fool of myself but believe me I remained as funny as ever, probably even more funnier because I was sober and sharp so my jokes were better than ever.

There's no problem in bringing laughs to the life of others, the problem is when you make a fool of yourself in the process then they laugh at you not with you.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is a great thread, thanks to the original poster. Unfortunately I am one of those people who tend to shy away and only come out when I was drinking, funny it normally happens just after I opened the first one, and before I have even had a sip. Not sure why that is, something I still need to work on.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Bowser

You see there's still a lot of wiseguys and life of the party guys here

Good to have you join us - there's a lot of support here

D
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.