Notices

Stupid Reason to Drink

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Stupid Reason to Drink

My wife and I, both drinking, would often become unpleasant with each other. When my wife would say something really mean and upsetting, I'd take that as my cue to get really hammered. This is what I was thinking:

I know she really HATES it when I get hammered. So now that she has said something so vile to me, I will show her! Now I'm going to go get really drunk! That will teach her not to talk to me like that ever again! Next time she thinks to say something like that to me she will remember that it causes me to get really drunk and she will hold her tongue.

When I stopped drinking and told her this we both had a good laugh about it. Never even crossed her mind that was what I was doing. Still now when she is mean and nasty (funny how life goes on unchanged) I still want to drink. The urge passes.

Anyone else have some stupid reason they used to have for drinking?
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"I'm awake" was usually enough for me.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my ex-wife telling me not to drink was the same as telling me to drink. The more she said stop, the more I said go. I'll show her!
  # 4 (permalink)  

is there a reason to drink that isn't kind of stupid when you boil it right down?
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
"I'm awake" was usually enough for me.
I'll second the "i'm awake" reason for drinking...
Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For myself, I guess I never really paid much attention to the "reasons" I would drink.. it was just kinda like I would drink no matter what was happening. It's like I never really wanted to spend too much time as my sober, true self.. I had to take a vacation from being exhausted by my own sober thoughts as often as possible. Apartment door closed and locked, one beer opened and one in the freezer and 10 more in the fridge, and then it's check out time.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did the same with my wife. That is funny to think about now. She wronged me so I'll go and hurt myself. Just insane. I drank for many other reasons; all on lies, stupid rationalizations and justifications.
I see why they say watch out for resentments. When I resent the thought of a drink still pops up- like that is really going to teach the other person if I get all drunk. Oh, the thinking of an alcoholic.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm not dead yet
Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've never used any one specific excuse. I could literally take any circumstance and "justify" drinking. The funny thing is I usually lied about going to have a drink and when I got caught and felt humiliated I would shout " I am a grown man and I don't need a reason to drink! If I want to have a drink then I am going to have a drink!" I can't wait until a day where I can look far behind me and know that it was only part of my past.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure I was looking for reasons to get upset and angry most of the time so I could give myself a reason to get hammered.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My reasons were similar. I'd see how drunk I could become and get away with it. I resented my wife constantly yammering at me about drinking. I was pretty good at "acting sober" when I was loaded and felt a warped sense of pride for fooling my wife (and more unfortunately, my teenage daughter).

Now, I'm on my own. Got the bum's rush out the back door of my own house. Nobody cares if I drink or not, except me. And occasionally, a friend.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think my craziest reasons were: I'll feel less stressed and less depressed if I drink! Maybe the best one is if I drink, I will be able to figure this problem (whatever it was) better.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a lot of reasons over the years, but the most common was "it isn't hurting anybody. " Of course, it was hurting ME, but I thought as long as nobody knew it wasn't a problem. My husband could usually tell I had drank the night before, even if he wasn't home to witness it, so I wasn't really getting away with anything.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I never really needed a reason, as long as there was alcohol and I wasn't at work, I was drinking!!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me, I'm realizing that drinking meant I could be lazy and avoid responsibility. I'm quite ADD, so I see all the little tasks as one giant task that I'm afraid to tackle. The irony is that when I don't drink (which has been rare), I find I actually enjoy all those "mundane" tasks.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would often search for an excuse to drink. I was living with a girlfriend at the time and she was starting to realize that 12 tall cans beer every night isn't normal. I remember going to a funeral and when I got back with the booze I justified a night of drinking by saying I was a sad and grieving the loss. The funeral was for a friend's father who I had only met a few times. I was at the funeral out of respect to my friend but gave the impression I knew his dad very well so my girlfriend would let me drink.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cincinnati View Post
For me, I'm realizing that drinking meant I could be lazy and avoid responsibility. I'm quite ADD, so I see all the little tasks as one giant task that I'm afraid to tackle. The irony is that when I don't drink (which has been rare), I find I actually enjoy all those "mundane" tasks.
I was finally diagnosed with ADD while in rehab. Without the booze, I didn't get anything done. I needed it to clean and do the laundry. I am on ADD meds that replace the need and craving for alcohol.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I needed no "reason" to drink, I just drank. All. the. time.