Notices

"I couldn't live without alcohol"

Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I actually think this is a very interesting post, love the comments. I have been in many of these conversation among friends and coworkers, and often used it for reinforcement for my alcoholism. I would walk away with, "See, everyone drinks."

But not like me. And if you're an active poster on here, then probably not like you either.

They "can't live without alcohol" until they are going on antibiotics for 3 weeks, then of course they don't drink. Or when they're training for a big bike ride, then they pretty much lay off for about a month because it disrupts their morning rides. Or when they're doing this new "Get Fit for Summer!" diet, then they'll abstain for six weeks because it's part of the regimen. Or when they're visiting their sister for a week, because they were "just so busy running around!"....

I guess I shouldn't speak for anybody else here, but for me I was always in awe of these people. They would drink, unless something else more important or interesting was happening. But for me there wasn't anything more important or interesting. Alcohol was the key event, everything else was just the backdrop to it.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Back in the day when I drank regularly but enjoyed my drinking and knew when to stop, my thinking was always still abnormal and alcoholic...a co-worker told me she had gone 30 days without a drink as an "experiment". I was floored...I couldn't imagine how anyone could go 30 days without a drink unless they were pregnant or in recovery! And I should add I used to feel bad for the ladder..."poor folks" I'd think to myself. They can't drink!!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was talking about this with a friend, who drinks one glass of wine a night, and she said that when she gave that up last year to support her husband, who had a 'real' drinking problem, she really struggled.

And then there's pregnancy; like a lot of women I know, I didn't have much of a problem giving up during mine, but I went straight back to drinking afterwards.

So I guess addiction is part habit (my friend is not addicted, but it's hard to shake any habit), part pathology, part internal motivation, and part who-the-hell knows!