Notices

Music Fests and Family Gatherings...

Old 07-21-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music Fests and Family Gatherings...

Spent the weekend at a music festival with the kids and my lady. Lots of friends, lots of fun, lots of booze. Everywhere, booze. Family gathering also over the weekend.... no excessive drinking. All pretty "moderate". But still, sitting back watching several beers consumed or multiple g&t's and counting up the calories and wondering; why? They're not getting drunk, so what's the point really? And if they're not getting drunk why the calories, the toxins. Why not just water?

And then at the other end of the spectrum - at the fest - plenty people geting drunk. And why? Why the stupid behavior and nonsense conversations and calories and toxins and more stupid behavior?

And then here and there feelings of jealousy and loss - for what??? But there it was anyway.

Regardless, didn't drink anything myself apart from blackberry soda and La Croix fizzy waters and coffee. Had a great time, never had a hangover, didn't do anything stupid, remember the weekend just fine and saved a toll on my liver and about ten zillion calories.

It's a good day to be sober.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes every day is a good day to be sober and to observe what we were like, a good remember when. Although it’s been a good many years since I’ve thought of having a drink but I get uncomfortable at such occasions. I suppose it’s that I’ve heard of too many personal disasters of people going to such events and end up just having ONE which led to massive life consequences and the loss of everything. For me it’s better to stay away.

BE WELL
Old 07-21-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah.... I totally get that. A few times that "well just ONE" thought did enter my awareness, but I was able to remind myself why I chose not to bother with even "just one".

Thing about 'avoiding' such situations - for me - is that it seems like there are a LOT more situations in life that I'd need to 'avoid' than are really practical. And I want to participate in life and I want to show my children that one can do these things and also choose NOT to participate with the toxic parts. I don't want to have to avoid or to impart to them that it's all 'either or'.

That said - there are certainly limits. I'm not going to spend time in noisy bars where the sole point is going to drink. I will avoid situations where I know that there really is going to be NO point apart from the drinking.... but there are many really cool, healthy, fun things in this world - like a neat, hippy, traditional music festival and camping weekend with lots of friends and fun - that will also have a significant element of drinking involved.

For me, I need to cultivate and nurture a strength in sobriety that allows me to participate in things that are important to me - even if they will involve drinking.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went to a couple of concerts sober - I found it so much better. When I was drinking, I'd spend most of the time either in the lineups for beer, or in the lineups for the bathrooms, I"d miss the whole damn show!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy View Post
I went to a couple of concerts sober - I found it so much better. When I was drinking, I'd spend most of the time either in the lineups for beer, or in the lineups for the bathrooms, I"d miss the whole damn show!
Hhahaha so true. I once DID miss the guys I went to see and totally missed 3/4 of the damn show b/c I was in "beer line"
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I don't avoid things either, FreeOwl. People will say, "well, soberlicious, that's because it's been years since you've had a drink. You're 'secure in your sobriety'."

No. That's not it. Time did not make me secure. My decision to stop getting stupid drunk every day made me secure. That decision was a moment, not a process. I was done drinking, not living. I became a nondrinker...not a nun. I'm not suggesting for a moment that others should do what I do, I'm just saying that it is entirely possible to walk on the wild side without substances, if that is one's inclination.

Who played at the music fest?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
there are many really cool, healthy, fun things in this world - like a neat, hippy, traditional music festival and camping weekend with lots of friends and fun - that will also have a significant element of drinking involved.

For me, I need to cultivate and nurture a strength in sobriety that allows me to participate in things that are important to me - even if they will involve drinking.

Totally agree. The thing that we have to be aware of is the fact that our disease is just below the surface ready to arise when the circumstances are right for it. It’s always powerful, cunning and insidious.
I’ve been a knee jerk reaction person in my drinking days and too many times when trying to get sober I’d drink because I suddenly got angry about something, was stressed about some ones casual comment, suddenly felt financial insecurity and the list goes on.
All I’m trying to say that for me I needed to learn from others what can easily happen to me and be aware of my thinking at the moment.

BE WELL