Notices

Day 109 contemplating the whole Facebook thing?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Day 109 contemplating the whole Facebook thing?

Day 109, been contemplating recently if I should leave Facebook or not and focus more on things that matter and people who care more about others such as in this website! Being 25 my Facebook feed is filled with bar photos and drinkers which is sometimes hard to look at I don't hate these people for drinking or living their lives unjust don't think it's important to see these things in my everyday life when trying to change myself. Out of the almost 500 friends I have mostly from high school and previous jobs or family none of them message me or check in to see how I'm doing or respond to my messages. I understand life is very busy but if it's so busy you can't respond or see how some of your formally good or best friends are doing then should I even waste the time by countless scrolling through meaningless BS everyday. I dont know I'm not sure what to do here.

My gf has a Facebook probably one of the reasons I still have one. Guess I'm just ranting now lol ramble ramble ramble lol. Well I'm off to bed then work. Thanks for reading and let me know if you've quit Facebook and if so how was your life after?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have "deactivated" for a month or two in the past. In all honesty, I would really like the strength to get off permanently...but then, it comes in handy. I spend very little time there (although I did spend a bit of time there today).

What to do...what to do...
Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I still have fb, I use it to keep in contact with people around the world that I don't get to chat to too often, it's handy for that, but I know what you mean about endless photos of nights out etc, it depends on what works for you!!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I had to hide some people from my news feed. I never saw it before I quit but I never realized how many people hung out with where alcohol was the driving force in everything that they did in life. Then again, that was me too so it only makes sense.

Maybe staying away altogether for a while or using the hide feature?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I deleted fb and ig over a week ago. I feel it was really messing with my head/sobriety, seeing everyone drinking and partying, pretending they have amazing lives. It's all bs. I don't think I'll ever go back on. I feel free to live my life not under the microscope, and can recover in peace. Everyone is different, but if it's bothering you like it was me, get rid of it. You need a positive mind right now.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I logged off FB then joined this forum 9 days ago. Someday I will go back on and unfollow/unfriended my boozie contacts. Can't look at all the social events I can no longer be part of. I'm glad to be sober, just hope someday I can be okay with doing things. Drinking isn't necessary to be part of many things, I just made it that way.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I deleted my Facebook a while ago and I definitely don't miss it. That being said, I don't think it would affect my recovery at all. I don't really get bothered by photos like that.. consciously anyway, I guess. I guess if you feel like it bothers you to see photos of your friends out drinking, then I'm sure the best thing to do would be to deactivate it for a little while. Sobriety is the most important thing and should be protected no matter what the cost!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
I have "deactivated" for a month or two in the past. In all honesty, I would really like the strength to get off permanently...but then, it comes in handy. I spend very little time there (although I did spend a bit of time there today).

What to do...what to do...
Not having FB is kinda liberating haha.. I always get the "Really? Why?" thing when I tell people I don't have FB haha... like I have two heads. It's funny how that works. My grandfather got through his life pretty great without FB haha. He didn't even have Twitter.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think Facebook is rubbish and hate it, along with twitter and all the rest of social media. I dont want to know about people's petty squabbles, how much they are bored or what sandwich they are having for dinner. Call me crazy, lol.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I created a FB account twice because some friends were trying to get me into it. Both times, after just looking around, I found it very uninteresting to me, shallow and fake, so I never even started connecting with people and using it. Deleted the account both times because I did not see any usefulness for me in it. I think it's good for professional, especially artists, to advertise their work and find connections.

I used Google+ for a while in the past because I was interested in specific social groups on it and the discussions were quite good in the beginning. I liked that you can create subgroups (circles) of friends and then only the members of that particular group would see your posts, not all "friends". I met many people on Google+, some also in the 3D world later, it was overall a good experience for me except that for a while I was obsessed with it.

As for keeping in touch with old friends, I use email and do it 1:1. I'm not really interested in diffuse "keeping in touch" without substance; and for subject-driven interactions forums like SR, where people are brought together based on shared interests, are much better.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the insight guys I'm going to deactivate my account with a lot of the comments left on here I've wanted to do this the past few weeks just wanted to hear others opinions in this matter. Some real good points here to. Thanks again guys for sounding off really shined some light on the subject matter!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i only use my facebook account when i feel the need to post a message up on my sons facebook account me and the rest of my kids decided it was best to keep my dead sons facebook account open so that all his friends could post up in there as well as us
so his birthday and xmas time it gets swamped by the kids as they will never forget him and i enjoy reading how much he has touched peoples lives

if it wasnt for that i wouldnt have face book at all
not because its a bad things but because its a bad thing for me
i tended to get drawn into arguments or get offended by others or a pretty lady might of caught my eye you name it face book brought it out of me
so i stopped useing it years ago and like i said i only have it now for special occasions for my son who died
so it does have its positive side
but over all i just dont want drama in my life anymore
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am in my 50's and the only reason I keep my account is to see what my daughter, sister and niece have to say and post. I find that for everyone else who is on the list if I specify them as "acquaintances," I see little about them in the newsfeed.

I do have some cousins and others who aren't alcoholics, but they post "cutesy" posts about "adult beverages" and try to be precious and naughty about it, almost bragging about being "bad" imbibing their one or two beers - that totally does not compute in my alcoholic mind! I find their posts ridiculous and nauseating.

Felt good to get that off my chest! Didn't realize how much that bugged me! Ha!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Facebook did nothing but get me into trouble. Long story there... I ended up deactivating the account after about 6 months. That was about 5 years ago. My ex had an account and sometimes I'd look at it with her. Some people are really obsessed with it, and twitter. The majority of the posts are just inane ramblings and pointless minutiae about every moment of every day. I mean, who cares what you ate for breakfast? And you even posted a picture of it?!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I ditched fb three years ago and never really missed it. Most of the stuff we tell ourselves we can't do without are things we usually don't really need.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've been off facebook for about 3 years as well. The negative far outweighed the positive. I don't miss it a bit.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I deactivated in 2011 and don't regret it!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Big Brother is watching you...

Interesting how George Orwell's '1984' was almost prophetic of 2014.

Big Brother definitely IS watching you. And you are allowing 'him' into your inner most world. 'He' doesn't even have to install any special equipment. You installed it yourself.
Have a great day.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Interesting how George Orwell's '1984' was almost prophetic of 2014.

Big Brother definitely IS watching you. And you are allowing 'him' into your inner most world. 'He' doesn't even have to install any special equipment. You installed it yourself.
Have a great day.
I love 1984, absolutely brilliant.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

Yeah, the next addiction I'm quitting is Facebook.