Notices

3.45am & not even close to sleeping

Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3.45am & not even close to sleeping

But I know, if I'd have had my nightly bottle of red wine......I would be soundo just now. I hate the not being able to sleep. My mind is buzzing with all kinds and the anxiety is awful.
My kids will be up in a few hours. I'll be like a half shut knife.... Though it's better than the hangover that I normally wake up with on a Monday. Today is day 2.
Xxxxxx
Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi ShenzyT, I have a problem with sleeping as well. Sometimes breathing exercises help me. Try to relax, hopefully tomorrow will be a easier day for you.

good luck
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It will get easier. Try to take care, be kind to yourself, maybe go to bed earlier tomorrow. When you can't sleep, shut your eyes anyway, breathe deep and try get some rest that way.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ShenzyT, don't worry about the lack of sleep. Your body will take time to adjust. Be patient and let it be.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shenzy,
I have also had a terrible time sleeping on some nights, seeing the sun come up on a few. It can make us feel like we are going crazy at times. The insomnia can weaken our resolve and steal the T in how we are are supposed to monitor ourselves. HALT. We should try not to get Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. (Did I get that right?). How can we try not to be tired when the insomnia is so bad? It helps me to remember just how rotten I felt all the time the day after the fake sleep from drinking. There have been quite a nights, at 3:30 am when I am lying there and simply can not sleep. Like you said, not even feeling close to sleep. I felt like angry at the universe: Why can't I sleep? I am working so hard to stay sober please god let me sleep! My moods have been all over the place the past few weeks but it feels so much better than hangovers. I have to remind myself that I wasn't exactly warm over cookies when hungover either.

I am happy to say that our bodies do sleep when they get tired enough and even after my angry-at-the-universe moments of insanity, sleep would finally come, sometimes around 8 am even. My moods

If you can tough it out for a few days you will sleep eventually. Remind yourself that you will actually feel better with little sleep than a cracking hangover. Be as easy on yourself as you can. Drinking was no longer working for my sleep anyways. I would pass out, sure, but man, my waking hours were pure torture with those hangovers.

Stay strong. You can do this. I was a daily drinker too and I didn't think I could get one day but I did and I've continued to 23 days today. If I can do this, so can you!

Last edited by MelindaFlowers; 07-20-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still don't sleep well
Even with 6 years of sobriety
But I'll take this any day
Over drinking
Age may play a part in mine
Hopefully you will be sleeping well soon
MM
Old 07-21-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies.
I must have nodded off around 6.00am - of course hubby left for work @ 7.45am & kids were wide awake .... typical .....
On the very positive side - I am like a half shut knife this morning .... (sitting with the coffee waiting patiently for the caffeine to kick in...lol)....but I'd rather feel like this than have a hangover. SO far this morning, I've managed to tidy the kitchen, hang out washing & feed the kids breakfast (major plus .... sometimes I've felt so awful in the morning that they've had a free run to the fridge to eat whatever they want....).
Good luck for today everyone & thanks again....it's so good to know we're not alone.
xxxx
Old 07-21-2014, 02:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through!! You can do this!!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you for getting through. I've had my share of sleepless nights, and waking up not hungover and tired, is so much better. You manage to get through it, I always have a book to read, I often nod off, even for a while when reading..it all helps.