Notices

I keep trying!

Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I keep trying!

I keep trying to for a week without drinking anything and usually last about days, then I binge drink (about half a bottle of gin). I really don't understand how, in the space of a few seconds, I go from being determined to remain sober to opening a bottle!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The main thing is to keep trying!!

I went round and round in circles of quitting and then after a week drinking, and so the cycle continued for a long time. For me it came down to breaking the pattern by changing up my plan!!

There's loads of things that can be done, reaching out for support, meetings, calling someone, new activities to distract, just something to break that cycle!!

You can do this!!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! Some days and certain times are definite triggers so I'll work on that.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was reading an interesting article yesterday. It talked about change. How knowledge was part but it wasn't all of it. A psych wrote it and he had done research on change.

I don't dwell to much on studies but once in awhile one gets me thinking. This one did because I think it was how I finally quit. I just didn't know it at the time.

It actually made sense to me. Regardless what you want to change. Drinking, smoking, unhealthy eating habits. You name it. His theory made sense to me. Knowledge doesn't cause change. A deep sense of belief in the reality of what you want to change and how once you do change it will be better is.

I always had the knowledge that alcohol caused me problems. I had the knowledge that it was addicting and it wouldn't improve. I had the knowledge that once I started, I rarely stopped. I had the knowledge it was hurting my liver, my brain, my relationships, my life. My knowledge never stopped me.

It was the depth of my belief that did it. I had to take my knowledge and turn it into a deep...and I mean deep conviction type belief to get my momentum going.

I had to know to the point I would never question what I came to believe to be true for my life.

I believe with all my heart alcohol offers me nothing. I believe with all my heart life is a miracle all on its own and I need nothing from alcohol to be the person I know I can be. I believe with all of my heart that if I drink, it takes me further away from who I want to be.

Now I just keep working on keeping my belief reinforced and strong. A thought usually precedes an action for me so I pay close attention to what I'm thinking. Does it reinforce what I know to be true or cause me to question. I can't afford to question what is working.

Just me. I tried quitting a gazillion times. I just didn't put a lot of work into my thinking before. Once I did that things seemed to fall into place.

Welcome Treg. You can do it. Don't give up.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What made me get help was that I had bankrupted myself and was in such ill health, I had no choice. Basically, I had hit rock bottom. Don't wait that long!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'm glad you joined the family. Keep trying until you get it right. Never give up! It took me many tries to finally 'get it' but I finally did. So can you!