Notices

Who has that 'mean switch' when they drink?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who has that 'mean switch' when they drink?

My last week long binge was around last Chirstmas. I don't have much memory of it now, but I was out with a close friend recently who was with me at a bar on one of those nights.

I am sure I had been drinking before I got to the bar, but my friend said I was being a douche-bag. Apparently, I argued whether an Australian girl siting at the bar beside us was Australian or not and I demanded to see her ID. I then said that she was probably a 'call-girl' faking the Australian accent.

The girl was undoubtedly offended and left. Once I cross a certain threshold of drinking in a night, it's like a switch in my head goes from 'fun' to 'mean'. I become belligerent and argumentative just for the sake of it. I don't know why that is because I've never been like that ever sober.

Why would I suddenly insult strangers who had never even looked my way?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol can be destructive in many ways, I used to get overly aggressive and reckless, thankful I don't have to wake up with anymore of those regrets!!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Wasting.

That was definitely me - confrontational and just all over the place attitude-wise. The exact opposite of the real me. It didn't start to happen until the end of my drinking career. Previously I was fun and lighthearted. Something changed, & I couldn't be trusted once it was in my system. One of many reasons I had to stop.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I noticed a long time ago that whatever emotion(s) I am feeling when I begin drinking are amplified the more I drink. If I am angry when I start drinking then I am livid by the time I am blackout drunk.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are days I think I still go looking for a fight...sober. The thing about sobriety is...I'm conscious of it, I know I'm out of sorts and I am able to exercise better judgement (or simply just bite my tongue when I really, really don't want to...not always, but mostly). I have much to sort in my emotional kaleidescope...that I certainly didn't sort or was even be conscious of...drinking.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The "mean switch" ... yep I had one of those. Or the "crazy switch" sometimes .... I did some really weird stuff on my last bender, insane stuff that went beyond "mean".
Old 07-20-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to be a happy drunk , but over the last 3 years if somebody said the wrong thing i would become mean and confrontational,the dents on my front door and cracked outlets from my fists are a constant reminder...im usually shy and reserved and keep to myself
Old 07-20-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a mean drunk.......how crappy is that....
Old 07-20-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I generally was a happy drunk. Mean streaks now and again. However they became more frequent.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

My dad was mean after a certain time drinking or drinking whiskey. I was all nicely nicely, the world is wonderful then bham, mrs nasty. Not nice, cringe.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Absolutely. When I got really really wasted I could be an absolutely horrible, argumentative, aggressive person. Sober I am absolutely not aggressive or confrontational at all. Often I would be in a blackout before I got like that and would have to hear about my actions from other people.

Screw that. It's one of the biggest things stopping me from drinking again. I never want to be like that again.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My mother is a very mean drunk. She has dug her fingernails into my sister, called her grandchild a brat and is the only person in my entire life who has told me that she hates me.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
There are days I think I still go looking for a fight...sober. The thing about sobriety is...I'm conscious of it, I know I'm out of sorts and I am able to exercise better judgement (or simply just bite my tongue when I really, really don't want to...not always, but mostly). I have much to sort in my emotional kaleidescope...that I certainly didn't sort or was even be conscious of...drinking.
Indeed I did have a mean switch, was a rageaholic in the very worst of my alcoholism & the mildest form it took, ironically, seems to speak too, step 9. Whatever it was that was brewing in my head, when at some point in the evening I'd recognise it would harm the other person to hear it, once past the tipping point, out it came.

And love what Nudawn posted :-) Yep, me too. Those two nuggets ' restraint of tongue & pen' & the question 'what would a wise person do?' in a testing situation (& believe me, there are many, many situations I find testing ;-)) help some, but often times, even with such sage advice, often times, out it comes! Mild by comparison to a drinking tirade, but still at times, unwise. Know what though....this is where the learning is, and thank god for it :-) Time was it all came out, regardless of how....next phase was such a strong filter system on what I said, didn't know whether to go left, right or sideways & I resided mainly in passive aggression...& now....filter systems busted & it's very freeing...even if some of the learning from that is uncomfortable. Uncomfortable is good....:-)

The fabulous thing? The complete absence of mean drunkenness in my life today. Truly grateful for that
Old 07-20-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
My last week long binge was around last Chirstmas. I don't have much memory of it now, but I was out with a close friend recently who was with me at a bar on one of those nights.

I am sure I had been drinking before I got to the bar, but my friend said I was being a douche-bag. Apparently, I argued whether an Australian girl siting at the bar beside us was Australian or not and I demanded to see her ID. I then said that she was probably a 'call-girl' faking the Australian accent.

The girl was undoubtedly offended and left. Once I cross a certain threshold of drinking in a night, it's like a switch in my head goes from 'fun' to 'mean'. I become belligerent and argumentative just for the sake of it. I don't know why that is because I've never been like that ever sober.

Why would I suddenly insult strangers who had never even looked my way?
I was a real ***** once I hit a certain level of drunkenness. I would antagonize strangers, insult friends, and just generally be belligerent. Didn't always happen, but when it did, look out. I look back at how I was and I am certainly not proud, but I know that I never act like that in sobriety. Drinking just brings out the worst in me.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was what my mother would call an "Irish" drunk, lol! Very mean and suspicious at first, then weepy and sad. Toward the end of my career I would skip the mean and go straight to the crying sadness "I wish I was dead' feeling.

Always wished I was a happy drunk, but that was not the case. I never want to return to those days.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Drinking usually amplifies whatever mood I was in before I start drinking. If im laughing and happy, drinking makes me a happy drunk (but that is rare). If I am annoyed/depressed/miserable before drinking then I go crazy angry for no or little reason.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I first started drinking I was a happy stupid drunk, then for like 6 months I would cry every time I'd drink for no reason. I wouldn't get mean every time I'd drink but I've been told I am very belligerent and mean. I know I'm nOt trying to be mean I'm joking but I guess when you're wasted you're not aware at all how you're coming off to others.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I was always an obnoxiously happy drunk. Texting people how much I loved them. Emailing people I hadn't seen in ages (people I didn't even like) and telling them I missed them. Oh I dreaded to look at my SEND box in my email the next morning.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I would start with my first couple drinks I would just get more talkative, and outgoing, and what I thought was "witty"... By the time I was drunk I would get flat out rude, to whomever I was with, and strangers. My friends say I start to get this "attitude" as soon as a catch a buzz. My attitude then went from rude, to mean and aggressive. I have said horrible things to friends, ex boyfriends, family, strangers, and authority. They also tell me sober, I am sweet, kind hearted, and would do anything for the people in my life. I am always respectful and kind to strangers. It's two completely different people. I don't want to be that aggressive, offensive mess anymore.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, my husband and kid's say I get mean when I am drinking, but I know I don't. LOL!