Notices

Who has that 'mean switch' when they drink?

Old 07-20-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

I'm like ElleDee - I get all moony and love everyone and everything! The soppy posts I have put on friends FB pages after a bottle of Chardonnay are quite embarrassing! I posted on a childhood friend's page that she was the wind beneath my wings - I haven't seen her in 25 freaking years!!

Sober I'm much more reserved and dispassionate.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I was always a closet drinker and my ex-SO's biggest complaint when she found my hidden bottles was that she felt like a damned fool for not being able to tell when I had been drinking. However, as time went on, one of the things she learned was when I'd been drinking I became argumentative and sarcastic. The more I'd push my point, the more suspicious she became. When I was sober I'd say what I thought and then let it drop. If I was drinking I'd latch on like a pit bull and not let go until we were both pissed off.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RolyPoly View Post
I'm like ElleDee - I get all moony and love everyone and everything! The soppy posts I have put on friends FB pages after a bottle of Chardonnay are quite embarrassing! I posted on a childhood friend's page that she was the wind beneath my wings - I haven't seen her in 25 freaking years!!

Sober I'm much more reserved and dispassionate.
Oh, that had me laughing! Yes, I was always the "I love everyone" drunk.

So much so, if we had something on at work years ago, and I'd show up, one girl in particular always used to say, oh hello, get ready for some loving and some hugs!

Towards the end though, as I drank alone, there were times I'd get sad. I've had a few times where I'd get mean, where something had been on my mind and manifest inappropriately when drunk. Mainly in the last few years of my drinking.

I think that's when I isolated more because it scared me if I reacted that way. Subconsciously, the fun, the parties, the loving everyone, had ended - and I was alone, with a bottle, and life was passing me by.

Oops, I just started tearing up over that...it was very sad.

Now I just have to give myself all the love and hugs - sober!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It depended...I drank by myself a lot but towards the end I was very mean to my ex...he was mean to me too. I used to order him to go out and get me more wine. I think I actually clapped my hands once and said "Chop Chop"!

When he came back with just one regular size bottle...I'd say "What's this? That's not going to last me!" The irony...the day that I quit (in May 2012) he drank 3/4 of my very last bottle of wine. I said to him "What am I suppose to do now?" The beauty of it is I did the right thing and finally got sober after that day!

YIKES...I was horrible!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

Originally Posted by sillysuzanfree View Post
It depended...I drank by myself a lot but towards the end I was very mean to my ex...he was mean to me too. I used to order him to go out and get me more wine. I think I actually clapped my hands once and said "Chop Chop"!
When he came back with just one regular size bottle...I'd say "What's this? That's not going to last me!"
LOL! "Chop Chop" - we used to say that in South Africa where I grew up too
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RolyPoly View Post
I'm like ElleDee - I get all moony and love everyone and everything! The soppy posts I have put on friends FB pages after a bottle of Chardonnay are quite embarrassing! I posted on a childhood friend's page that she was the wind beneath my wings - I haven't seen her in 25 freaking years!! Sober I'm much more reserved and dispassionate.

OMG!! I'm laughing out loud! That is some funny stuff! I'm a sappy drunk too! Unfortunately it's not cute anymore. It's annoying and embarrassing ...
Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Was a maniac. Often very destructive, latterly more - well, bizarre. A friend said he thought I had 'Drinking Tourette's' ie somehow I managed to say or do the worst possible thing in any given situation.

Last edited by sobermax; 07-21-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: INCOMPLETE
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Omnivore

No not me. I'm sure it is just a coincidence that I've never gotten into a fight sober but when I'm drinking I keep getting into serious, in your face arguments with guys twice my size and being dragged off by my friends. I also got arrested twice for insulting officers of the law. I'm sure they just couldn't handle my honest good natured banter.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Jekyll and Hyde reporting for duty!

Oddly enough though only to my husband. Everyone else got to witness the fool and ass I could be but not the angry me. That was reserved for behind closed doors and expressly for him. I'm sure that would have gone public too had I not stopped.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I didn't start out to be an obnoxious drunk, but that's what I became. I'd argue over the stupidest things that when sober would just roll off my back or seem inconsequential and just plain dumb. Your example was perfect to highlight the sheer craziness of the alcoholic mind at work. I can't think of any specific incidents at the moment, but I know there were many.

The other thing I often did when alone in my drunken stupor was ruminate over every little detail if something unpleasant happened to me. Any real or imagined slight, I'd go over it in my mind again and again. Sometimes the drunk phone calls or emails would follow. Ugh!

Towards the end of my drinking career I found myself being judgmental and thinking, or even saying unkind things on those (rare) occasions that I was not drinking. Those thoughts and that behavior goes so against who I am as a person. Now sober for 6 weeks, I have a lot of work to do on getting my life in order and working on my recovery, but I'm back in the "Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle" - Plato (even those without addictions) mindset and it feels so much better.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
C***

Yup. Not just the mean switch. The irrational switch, the emotional switch. Let's just call it the ruining everything over nothing switch. It's ruined a lot of relationships. The night before I went to detox I tried to fight my best friend for absolutely no reason. I have a lot of shame and guilt. But it will only bring me down. I can't fix any of it.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
C***

(I also was never that way when I first started drinking, but like others it developed and then got worse.)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I had the mean switch. It happened in blackouts when I would come up with the most vile, mean, and destructive things to say. Often they were things that I did not even mean. I never even felt these things. The next day apologies were terrorizing to me as well as those that I hurt. Every now and then a monster would come out and I would go into a rage.

I am so relieved to know that this won't happen anymore. It's still hard to think back to those terrible nights.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Does punching people in the face count?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I've known my share of mean drunks--people who were anything but mean when they were sober. However, I was almost always a happy, friendly drinker. I thought I was a witty and clever conversationalist, when I was really just that annoying drunk guy who wouldn't leave people alone. Or even worse, I thought I had the charisma and looks of George Clooney, and I would attempt to flirt with whatever woman was nearby. For some odd reason, women don't seem to be attracted to drunk strangers who attempt to engage in inappropriate sexual conversations
Old 08-03-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I could get downright cruel. So not okay and totally not worth the buzz.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hokey View Post
The "mean switch" ... yep I had one of those. Or the "crazy switch" sometimes .... I did some really weird stuff on my last bender, insane stuff that went beyond "mean".
Think mine was the bitch switch! I hope I never see it again. I truly think the only reason I have not got a criminal record is due to having such a caring partner and family! Oh and I hate to say, but because I am a woman too!

I hope you are ok?