Notices

Day 15 Wish I felt better.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15 Wish I felt better.

I am a woman in my mid fifties and have been a fairly moderate to heavy drinker for all of my adult life. It pretty much has always defined who I am. I have 15 day now. This is the first time that I have posted but I have been on SR everyday reading everyone's posts. The not drinking part hasn't been too hard. I had one of those "determining moments" that made me see the light on my drinking. I know who I am as a lifetime lush- I want to find out who I am sober. The first week was the hardest. I was so exhausted, I just wished I could stay in bed and sleep. I even contemplated having a couple of drinks just to feel "normal." The second week I do feel better but I am still very tired and unmotivated. I have managed to go to several social functions where alcohol was served, and in spite of urgings to have "just one"-from people that can nurse on or two drinks all evening. But I have held strong. I am using the excuse that I am dieting and exercising, which is true. I have lost 5 pounds and it shows. My second complaint is brain fog- I find that my speech is kind of halting while I try to figure out what I am saying and often can't find the word that I am looking for. I am looking forward to the day when I can come back and say how good I feel.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The mind fog is also driving me batty! But, it will pass, I'm told. Congrats on day 15!

Lisa.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on taking your life back.

I had a great deal of trouble speaking conversationally for at least a month. I had trouble putting two thoughts together sometimes. I had trouble following along when others spoke. My belief system was faulty and my spiritual/moral compass was wacky.

It takes a while. Are you doing any reading or recovery based face to face stuff, like meetings or therapy or church?

Hang in there. It will get better.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey the MindfulLiving! I'm in a week and can totally relate. Find my self at a loss for words occasionly, but h the exhaustion, wow! At work all week by 1:30 I thought I'd hit a brick wall. Yesterday I took a nap, but was asleep by 9:30. Hope this ends soon.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support. It's a relief to finally tell someone how I feell
Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

biminiblue: No support groups, just spending a lot of time ready articles and blogs about alcohol and sobriety online. I don't think AA is for me, but I would probably go to a meeting to check it out if I didn't live in such a very small town. I guess I am hoping to just quit being the "one who has a few too many" without drawing attention to myself.
So far my "getting my skinny back" is working. Had dinner with some friends last night and it was painful trying to string a sentence together! When does this pass?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, congrats on 15 days! I was a heavy / daily drinker and it took me a good few months to start to feel the many benefits of sobriety. I felt extremely tired and confused for the first couple of months, after that i started to think more clearly and life improved. Exercising and eating well is a great idea, those things really helped to improve my situation. Things will get better. Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It will all take time for the body to adjust, keep pushing through, things will get better!!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

You're noticing the brain fog because your brain is clear enough for the first time to recognize it! Things will continue to improve day by day. Your brain has been damaged by alcohol in the same way that your liver has, fortunately our awesome bodies do heal with abstinence and good nutrition.

Visualize your internal organs resting now that they have no more poison bombarding them, then visualize them starting to weakly perk their heads up, then finally visualize them rebounding and getting stronger and stronger. This is what is happening inside you. It's awesome and so are you!

I'm also mid fifties and loving day 14 of sobriety.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 15 days sober.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The brain fog almost did me in. It was just horrible and scary for me. But it did pass, although it took a couple of months. Mental clarity does return. Now just the thought of going through that again is helping me stay sober. Hang in there. ...it is so worth it!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 15 days sober! Although, that was yesterday, so maybe that should read 16 days sober!

Oh my god that brain fog is so aggravating! At one point I thought that I had literally drank away part of my brain. This time around, I started to take a daily multi-vitamin as well as a B-complex and made sure to eat some protein with every meal to help make up for the lack of vitamins my body wasn't able to absorb while I was drinking. It also took about a month before I felt like I could find my words and retain anything of what people said to me. I still have some trouble finding the right words or remembering some of what someone said to me, but I find it doesn't bother me as much anymore. Maybe I got used to it or maybe I've developed some patience with myself and trust that this is just all part of the healing process. I wish you the best!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 16. I think my lethargy may be due to low vitamine D. I went to the doctor several months ago and my Vit D was 13 on a scale of 50 being normal. I was feeling a lot better after those first couple of months. Doc put me on 50,000mg of D3 a week for 2 months. Retested at 25. I have been on D3 from Costco and I just don't think that it has the quality. I ordered some online and am waiting for it. Also taking Omega 3 fish oil but ran out a couple of months ago and waiting for it also. Not a doctor here but I would advise everyone to get their Vit D here. After my diagnosis I read that aprroximately 75% of the population is low on Vit D. Deficiency symptoms are depression, fatigue, lethargy. Check. Check. Check.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Another symptom of Vitamin D deficiency: confusion, brain fog, memory problems. Yep, got 'em.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job on day 15 Mindful. I'm on day 15 today and can totally relate to this brain-fog. I hope it subsides SOON! I think my reading and communication skills have reverted to those of a 6 year old!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good luck to us ccm1973!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

You are healing. Give time time. Stay stopped and keep moving forward, you will be thankful soon enough! 15 days is fabulous, but it's barely a drop compared to the amount of time you had spent drinking!

I got sober at 50 (3 years ago), yesterday I got carded for cigs....the clerk said, "Well, if you're 40 or under, we card." Go Sobriety!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hang in there.... it takes some time but it's SO worth it.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey, I actually feel pretty darn good today. Look for 2 in a row!

Day 17
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Got my Vitamin D and Omega 3 order and hoping this is what I need to get me out of my funk. I'll keep you posted. I hope I post next week that I am feeling fantastic!