Notices

Which sober path

Old 07-20-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Which sober path

How many newcomers here want long term sobriety and all its benefits or just get sober to get out of the pain and troubles we’re encountering on the path of drinking.

I’m not talking about our method of doing it.

BE WELL
Old 07-20-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just wanted out of the pain. I had no real concept of how good my life could be, other than my pre-drinking days.

either way, I think it takes a while for the fog to lift and to see the real benefits of long term sobriety.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

They are two separate things aren't they? It takes a bunch of the second to lead to the first.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The pain made me consider long term recovery, but it took finally realizing that the pain wouldn't ever end, even if sober, without long term recovery.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
They are two separate things aren't they? It takes a bunch of the second to lead to the first.
Yes it does. I'm wondering about the motives involved. Like "I'll stop until Friday then celebrate my sobriety during the week nd." Or “please get me out of this one.”

I realize many can’t think very far ahead because of the fog alcohol creates within us.

BE WELL
Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think this is an interesting and important question. I want out of the cycle of stop-start-stop-start and all its delusions. I'm starting to accept that if I want that, that means long term sobriety and all of its benefits. I'm accepting I cannot moderate. So I am past that dream/fantasy. I think it is hard to conceive of all of the benefits and the total overhaul long term sobriety demands and offers right now.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

At the end I knew things could not continue as they were and I knew alcohol was to blame. All I could do was not drink but what the future held I was not sure
Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wanted and needed a new way to live my life.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At first I wanted to fix my current situation and projected my issues on my wife. Then I slowly began realizing how utterly F"ed" I was with my own addictions. When this began to sink in I no longer wanted to fix the situation and started to realize I needed a new life. I then began to change everything about my life. I would never trade what I now have for anything, which means I guard my sobriety with my life.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In the beginning it was a an immediate reaction to what alcohol was doing, but then when alcohol wasn't looking like an option I could go back to, a new way of life, a Sober lifestyle was needed!!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

For me it was the desire to start living my life more fully again. Alcohol had become my best friend and lover. Life is too short to sit on the sofa with a drink in my hand.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got to appreciate the fact that my way wasn’t working and that the long term approach was needed. My life is not perfect today but the saying “my worst day sober is far superior then my best day in the drinking mode.
This life is not a dress rehearsal for something else.

BE WELL