Notices

Hopefully ready to change

Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopefully ready to change

Its a Sunday morning before 7am, and I am finally posting here, after being a lurker for I don't know how long. I know I need to give up drinking. I've know it since I was 18. I am 40 now. Its not as bad as it could be, but its getting worse. Its wine and craft beers and seemingly happy sipping on the deck in the summer. But its getting more frequent and in greater volumes. I feel myself needing it and it getting harder to step away. I am hung over now on Sunday with my cats when there is so much I could do today. I need help and I am scared to admit it and to make a change I want so much. I think this forum and its wise and generous souls are so amazing. Thank you all for reading.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Longoverdue! I hear ya about knowing it since 18! Wasted many, many years to the age of 49! I have been sober for 16 days and I am only going forward! Too much wasted time! Best of luck to you!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I also found it such an effort and waste of time in total to consume the amount of alcohol I did. I needed to get honest with myself about my drinking then accept that it will get worse and that I could not drink in safety. I was told denial is not a river in Egypt and mine needed to be addressed because I did a lot of comparing to others.
When certain things became painful enough, I don’t suffer well, I began working on my sobriety and it is work, not a phase I was going through as my ism is life long whether I like it or not.
It all starts with not picking up the first drink so we don’t have to get sober AGAIN, if we’re blessed with the opportunity.

BE WELL
Old 07-20-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Congratulations on your decision to seek a sober life.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome longovedue. My drinking snuck up on me too and became a heavy burden. It's never too late to quit, you've made a great choice. SR is a great place to learn about how to get and stay sober, read lots and don't be afraid to share or ask questions.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, longoverdue! I was in your shoes a year ago. For me, making the decision to stop drinking was the hardest part. It was scary. Take it a day at a time: today I will not drink.
Keep reading and posting, especially when you feel vulnerable. There is so much support and wisdom here. You can do it!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have made a great choice. You'll find tons of support here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the welcome and encouragement. Posting here was a big step, and as my name says, long overdue. I am ok now, but when 5pm hits, or I am frustrated with a project, I almost always find an excuse to say "oh, its not that bad, have a drink and a smoke." And it starts again. One day at a time. I will take it one day at a time.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, longoverdue.

You can make it through today without the drink.

Then you do it again tomorrow. That's how it works. Anyone can do anything for 24 hours, right?

We're glad you're here!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stay strong. You can do this. Waking up without a hangover is a wonderful feeling to want to obtain. I'm a terrible binge drinker with blackouts that have only gotten worse. You have support here. Save your life now!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

"Hopefully Ready To Change"

I WILL Change Something TODAY
to insure I WON'T DRINK. TODAY
Old 07-20-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Longoverdue.
I wish so much good luck and strength to you. I am been saying all the same things to myself for decades. I am on my third serious try-only day 15 now. 30 days once and 37 days once. This time I hope to be in it for the long haul. I am 58 now and feel like I have wasted so many days and opportunities for the buzz. There is a person I a want to finally get to know: sober me.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are at the start of a much better life! Good luck :-)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

GotGrace, Thank you for a year sober. I am thinking I might be able to do that.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi all- just trying to take today and feel everything I am feeling. Shaky physically, emotionally. But I don't want to lose touch with that shakiness because when I do, thats when I think everything is fine and dandy.

Mindfulliving: congrats on 2 weeks and I wish you too so much success as you discover your sober self. You are on an important, the most important journey, and you are not alone.