Notices

Drinking past keeps popping up in unexpected ways

Old 07-19-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking past keeps popping up in unexpected ways

Got another reminder today that my past will be very difficult to fully escape. I met this girl recently and we went on a nice date in the past week. She ordered wine with dinner, I told her I didn't drink, when she inquired further, I said it was for health reasons and sort of left it at that. She didn't care in the slightest about my non-drinking and we've continued to talk and have another date scheduled. However, today she texts me that I should add her on Facebook to get to know her better. A simple, innocent request by her (that almost anyone would make in 2014), that after a moment's reflection by me, has set off a bit of a crisis.

Imagine my Facebook account. I've had it for about 8-9 years and it reflects 8-9 years of a party guy/drunk, be it pics, status updates, check-ins, etc. She doesn't know that side of me. It's way too early in our dating for her to know those things about me. But I don't want to lie and tell her I don't have Facebook, or find a reason for us not to be friends on Facebook (she'll probably fairly assume I already have a girlfriend or something else nefarious if I refuse to add her). The only other option would be to delete the account altogether, as there is simply no way I can delete all the damning evidence on it. If she investigates the profile at any length, she will see that something about who I have presented and who I have been does not add up one bit.

Anyway, just another reminder that 42 days of sobriety cannot eradicate an entire drinking career, my past will continue to pop up in expected and unexpected ways probably for a very very long time. I guess I'll just add her and hope for the best. I doubt she wants to spend an hour on my Facebook page looking at things but who knows. I've made my bed... just need to work on staying sober and if she likes me that way, everything will hopefully sort itself out.

Anyone else run into their drinking past unexpectedly in (somewhat) early sobriety?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

An old friend bumped into my wife and I and they spent a chunk of time recounting amusing (supposedly) drinking escapades we had been on.

I had toned down a lot of my escapades or just never mentioned them to my wife so it made for a painful time for both of us.

It was a clear reminder of how bad I had been and how much I had tried to cover up.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just own it. No sense regretting the past. It's doubtful she'll even ask about it, but if she does just explain that your sobriety is a recent thing. Doctor's orders or somesuch.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Create a new facebook account, add her, and dump the old one
Old 07-19-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess honesty is the best policy anyway. Better now than later.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DryScotsman View Post
An old friend bumped into my wife and I and they spent a chunk of time recounting amusing (supposedly) drinking escapades we had been on.

I had toned down a lot of my escapades or just never mentioned them to my wife so it made for a painful time for both of us.

It was a clear reminder of how bad I had been and how much I had tried to cover up.
Yeah looking back on my FB account there is plenty I am not proud of, or that doesn't reflect the person I want to be seen as now...
Old 07-19-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just be honest, I don't deny that I had drank in the past to new people I met, I don't go into all the details of how bad, but I say I drank once upon a time and now I don't.

Those that are keepers as friends will understand!!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Just be honest, I don't deny that I had drank in the past to new people I met, I don't go into all the details of how bad, but I say I drank once upon a time and now I don't.

Those that are keepers as friends will understand!!
I agree. I did tell I had drank before in my life, but obviously without details. I'm just hoping I don't have to go into any more details at this juncture...
Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

facebook is the bane of our society
Old 07-19-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just deleted my Facebook and Instagram accounts last week. Not only do I not want everyone to know about my current situation or life, I don't want new friends to see the old party girl, me. I would be honest, women love that. I'm sure she won't judge you for opening up, and if she doesn't respect it now, she never will. Just a girl's opinion
Old 07-19-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
facebook is the bane of our society
100% correct my friend!
Old 07-19-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Another reason not to use Facebook.

During a recent one-year period, the word 'Facebook' appeared in better than sixty percent of all divorce proceedings in the US. Of course, causality in any particular direction is a simplistic thing, and hence there's nothing wrong and everything right with drawing one's own conclusions.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucie29 View Post
I just deleted my Facebook and Instagram accounts last week. Not only do I not want everyone to know about my current situation or life, I don't want new friends to see the old party girl, me. I would be honest, women love that. I'm sure she won't judge you for opening up, and if she doesn't respect it now, she never will. Just a girl's opinion
Appreciate the advice. I'm tempted to delete it, but I do keep in touch with a lot of family and distant friends through it. Plus it relieves boredom from time to time, lol

I'll just add her and roll with it
Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone's best side is put forward on FB.

I'm also not sure anyone (outside of obsessive types like us) would trawl through years of posts...

I'd be inclined not to worry too much

D
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

one lucky thing in my life: at 44 years old, I am just the right age to be able to get away with not having FB (although most of my generation age joined).

-and I was a computer geek in the 80's!

I have NO USE for it. NONE. -just cant stress that enough. its a self-stroking waste of time. LOL!

Soberhoops, you may be to young to just dump it. im sure there's a social penalty to pay. can you restart with a new user name?