Notices

My first sober Saturday....

Old 07-19-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first sober Saturday....

It's been almost a week. Shocking to me that I've come this far. Last Saturday was my last day, and boy did I go out big. It's been okay so far. Last night I had my first intense desire to drink, but willed myself to the gym instead. Today though is even worse. It's really hitting hint that I have nowhere to go tonight. All I ever do on a Saturday evening with friends involves alcohol. I know I won't survive a night surrounded by temptation. Looks like a sober and lonely future for me.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You wont feel lonely forever . Many people don't drink for many reasons. This is my first Saturday sober in, I don't know how long. You can do it! I have faith
Old 07-19-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum pumpkinny!!

For me I really needed to plan new activities into my weekends, sitting in with my thoughts was a struggle as all I thought about was alcohol, I had to think what I now wanted to do/achieve with my weekends, my saturday nights, now that I was Sober?!!

Great job on 1 week!! you'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd still rather be lonely and bored than drunk. Think of what awaits you if you do drink, the self loathing anxiety and regret.
I try and find something to occupy myself. There's lots of sober people out there doing things sober. You can always come here and read about those who went back out. It sure helps me stay sober and it's been three and a half years for me. That's a lot of Saturdays.
Congratulations on a week, that's great. And welcome to the forums.
Best to you.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Sober, sure. Lonely, no.

You have a period of adjustment to go through. As you grow stronger in your sobriety, what you think is tempting now will become non-eventful. You'll be able to socialize and do the things you used to do just without alcohol.

Meanwhile, you got us to fight off the lonelys. Read and post and exercise your sober willpower.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi pumpkinny, welcome to SR, lots of help here to get you through the tough times.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pumpkinny -

I can relate to your thoughts about a "sober and lonely future". But as some others on here have said, I don't see why those two need to go hand in hand? There a lot of incredibly social, fun people who don't drink. Some simply never did, and some have gone through pretty intense battles with addiction in their past. Wishing you strength here..
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR pumpkinny - congrats on your week

D
Old 07-19-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well Done Pumpkinny. The first week is the toughest but then you'll start to see the changes and it will motivate you further. I used to say that I drank to relax but then I was drunk and it wasn't relaxing, someone on SR told me to embrace the boredom because it's actually the serenity that you've been seeking, you just didn't see it until now. I've just been out for a meal with 5 people drinking and I drove them all home, I didn't want a drink because I'm enjoying another day sober. Keep Going
Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is my 2nd Saturday sober, feels weird, I'm cleaning, sorting...I accumulated a lot of stuff while drunk.

I am going to leave soon to drop 4-5 bags of stuff at Salvation Army. Maybe someone will like my straw/camouflage cowboy hat...and all my lovely shoes with fake rhinestones. It's about an 80% wardrobe purge but I can't believe I dressed like that!

Plus, tons of toys my daughter outgrew a long time ago but I was too drunk to sort through and organize her stuff.

You could always go to the gym again.

My daughter went to a birthday party today but I let my husband take her. Not that there would have been alcohol there but since I quit drinking, and I've been drinking a ton of fresh veggie juice, my neck is breaking out. It is very strange but I assume part of detoxing. It's starting to clear up now but I didn't want to have to wear a bunch of makeup on my neck to go out.

Anyhow, yes, don't go out.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

pumpkinny, congrats on your first sober Saturday! Don't think too far ahead about how your future will be -- we can't even predict the weather a few days out, let alone the complexities of life. Leave some room for it to be better than you imagine now.

Windancer, congrats on your sober Saturday! Very cool of you to pitch in with encouragement!

soberjuly, congrats on your second sober Saturday! Someday I too will tackle all the stuff and clutter that I accumulated during my drunk years.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sober and live alone and I'm not lonely. Welcome to the SR family.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your encouragement. I went for a drive, first time I was able to get behind the well late on a Saturday afternoon! I ended up by the shore, the clouds made way for the sun just before sunset. Interesting message from the universe? I have less than 3 hours to go. Yes this is better than a night of poor judgement and bad decisions, even if I'm alone. I anticipated it to feel worse. Think I'll just read the forum and get to sleep. I have been extra tired since Monday, I figure just a side effect. Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies. I'm just getting my feet wet here, but hope to contribute positive encouragement to someone soon. I am just having a hard time believing I'm really doing it this time.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you pumpkinny. You're doing great - a week is wonderful.

It's early days for you - things will change as you heal. I went through many phases in the early months - don't be discouraged if you feel down at times. Soon you'll feel more hopeful and less alone. It takes time to adjust to our 'new normal' - but you'll get there. Glad you are here with us.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is my second Saturday sober and I know how hard it is. Today the anxiety and cravings were particularly bad, especially while my husband keeps drinking away right in front of me. My girlfriends invited me out to a bachelorette party -- I politely declined. I just declined another group who wanted to head down to the pub. So, instead of going, here I am on this forum and I don't feel lonely at all knowing that others are experiencing the same issues. Stay the course -- you and I will do this!!
>AH
Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there Pumpkinny it gets better.