Notices

Introducing myself, I want to quit drinking

Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing myself, I want to quit drinking

I'm 26 years old, and I know that I'm an alcoholic.

I want to quit but I don't know how. Sometimes I'll stop for a few days and think that I've managed to quit, but then I'll have a drink and I'll spiral out of control, drinking far more than I intended to consume.

This problem has caused me to do many stupid things, and I feel like if I don't quit, it will either ruin my career or the drinking will kill me. Over the past year it's started giving me anxiety problems and terrifying panic attacks. Every time I have an anxious day or a panic attack I swear I'll never drink again, but I keep coming back to it. I've pissed away way too much money on this stupid habit.

It made me so sad when I was signing up because it asked for my sobriety date and I don't have one yet. I want to be sober. I want to feel like I'm in control of my life again.

Please, if you have any words of wisdom about how to quit, or how to start quitting, I would so much appreciate them. Or if you're in the Orange County/Los Angeles area and willing to meet up and talk about this in person, I could use any advice/support I can get. I have so much shame surrounding this part of my personality and feel like I can't discuss it with anyone in my life because I worry about how much they'll judge me for letting it get to this point.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA. Myself, husband and son all got clean via AA/CA. I live in the Pasadena area with my husband, and our son (22). Our son sought out AA the day after his 17th birthday. He's been sober since. AA has Young People's Meetings. Although the meetings I attend (5 a week) have every age group. I'd recommend calling and finding a meeting in your area.
Best to you friend.
Bobbi
Old 07-18-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Tprotr, signing up here is a good start. Believe it, if ya have made it a few days ya can make it forever. Just don't drink 1 day at a time, make that a goal to do that. Divert your attention every time you get the urge to drink. I wish I had thought I had a drinking problem at 26 so you're moving in the right direction, rootin for ya.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome! Takes a lot of courage to recognize an issue and do something about it. This is a great place for support. Please don't be a stranger. Wish you the best.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, you've come to a good place for support and wisdom. There's no magic pill to take, unfortunately, but there are some concrete steps you can take now, like stay outnof bars, don't hang with people who are drinking, pay attention to your diet and exercise, as well as being active here or other places to share and learn from your fellow alcoholics. You'll hear lots of good advise here, good luck!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome tprotr. SR is a great place not only to get support, but also to learn about all the different sobriety methods/plans that are available. You can absolutely quit if you really want it, but most need help and a structured plan to make it work king term. Have you considered any or perhaps tried any in the past?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Its so good to have you here. I just started coming on here and it has helped me tremendously! You can do this. I myself find that coming on here and sharing stories and advice. My advice keep a track of your days being sober. I put a dash on my board at some point through the day to remember how many days its been since I drank. Seeing how it gets bigger and bigger everyday, makes me feel proud and accomplished. You gotta start somewhere right?
Attached Images
Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and for all of the advice... I look forward to reading more.

I haven't been to any formal recovery things yet, but tomorrow morning I'm going to head to an AA meeting and give it a go. Crossing my fingers that I can find the strength to work through this.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dontt be afraid to make your own program. AA works well for many but its not your only option. Read around. Make your own personal treatment plan. You can do this. We all are on our personal journeys to and through sobriety.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so very glad you have decided to give soberland a go. Support makes it a whole lot easier. You will find loads of it here if you connect and reach out...and you may find even more at an AA meeting. I have just started investigating different AA groups myself. They have all been quite different. Be open to whatever it takes..that's my motto these days.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations ! You have already made the first, most important step toward recovery - admitting you have a serious problem. As far as talking to someone about it - go to AA meetings. You will not find a more understanding group of people. I have talked to doctors and counselors and none of them have better understanding and advice than those at AA (in my personal opinion and experience).
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am ashamed to admit that I messed up tonight. I gave in to the VA once again. . What the **** happened?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome T! I have only been sober for 15 days so take my message for what it is...hopeful! Unfortunately, I am 49! Please listen to that little voice inside of you and get the help you need NOW! Your life is so prescious! One day at a time! Prayers for you!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome tp. I just wanted to apologize for that last post of mine. I have my 13 year old nephew for the weekend and let him have my i pad to play games when I went to bed last night. I didn't know he was going to go snooping into my personal files. Anyway he thought it was "funny" to post things on this website. My apologies! I haven't drank in 9 days now. Quitting is not easy. Don't give up. Come and join us on the class of July 2014 thread.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support in getting sober.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum tprotr!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tprotr, I think that you are totally amazing for someone so young to recognise that your relationship with alcohol is a destructive one. I admire you greatly. Try your hardest to stop now so that you do not waste the years that many do.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, it happened. About two weeks ago, I went 5 days without alcohol. It was difficult but I was feeling better every day. Then I relapsed. I went to a friend's birthday party, was offered a glass of wine and ended up being unable to stop drinking. Every day since then (with the exception of one day) I've been drinking, and drinking a lot.

I'm so ashamed of this problem. Perhaps the problem is that I thought I could do it on my own, just by reading these forums and staying motivated. I'm realizing that's not the case. I've confided in a few close friends and I'm going to go to my first AA meeting tonight.

Thanks for all of the kind words above. I have a lot of self-doubt, but reading all of the stories here gives me hope that I can find the strength to stop.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey tprotr, support is very important in Sobriety, but you're not alone, I too thought I could do it on my own, but sheer will power didn't produce many long term results!!

Go at things again with a new plan, you'll get there!!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I went to my first AA meeting tonight and it was incredibly touching and very emotional. Around all these people who said they had been sober for years and years, I definitely felt some shame in standing up and saying "My name is Derek and I've been sober for one day." But everyone has to start somewhere, right? Anyway, there was rapturous applause, and so many people gave me hugs and their phone numbers to let me know I could call/text them to call at any time. It also helped that I found out there were AA groups catered more toward the gay community, which helped me feel more comfortable.

Hearing other people's stories inspired me a lot, knowing that there were people who had been through a lot worse and were able to recover.

I'm going back tomorrow night. =)