Notices

Introducing myself

Old 07-19-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Greetings Hockey Guy! This is a GREAT forum. It has helped me a lot . Im Canadian too! I live in southern Ontario. All the best and I look forward to more of your posts.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

You sound a lot like my husband -- also a hockey guy :-) He started out drinking too because it made him feel more outgoing and fun in social situations starting in university. Now it's just a very bad habit and he drinks daily and can't stop. Good for you that you can recognize you need to address your addiction. I only wish my husband would acknowledge his. Stay in touch with this forum -- it's helping me with my recovery immensely!
>AH
Old 07-19-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum! Your story sounds so similar to mine. I am now four months sober and life is FANTASTIC! The only way I like to get sideways anymore is in my avatar pic. Haha
Old 07-19-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HockeyGuy View Post
The most terrible, devastating things that have happened have usually happened when I was drinking at home, alone, then needing that "human contact" I'd contact some random girl on my phone, probably trying to fill a void. I'd promise the world, talk about my feelings, but the feelings I've had when I was drunk aren't real feelings, and I know that. I end up waking up with a blazing hangover, reading through the text message conversations on my phone, feeling sick to my stomach, probably missing work, etc. I could write a list as long as my arm about all the mistakes I've committed while drinking in the past couple of years alone.
Welcome aboard! The above paragraph rang true for me. I've also after a number of drinks reached out to women I was only marginally interested in (if at all) and made promises to them, discussed feelings and possible relationships, etc., only to wake up very confused and upset by what I had done because I did not feel that way at all in sobriety. I've come to realize that over the years there are several women I have hurt in this manner, most of whom would now never speak to me again. My drinking affected a lot of people, almost no one that knew me escaped unscathed. If I go back, it will continue to do so.

You can do this man, you're in the right place.