Notices

Malaysian flight MH17. Does a shocking event make you drink?

Old 07-18-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Malaysian flight MH17. Does a shocking event make you drink?

After hearing of the Malaysian flight MH17 being shot out of the sky by a Russian missile , this once would have made me drink !

I recall ground Zero , after hearing the news i went straight home to drink .

I cant explain why i did this , but major world tragedies made me feel like i had no control so i would blot it out with alcohol .

I don't feel like it today and it makes me wonder why i did this to extremes whilst actively drinking ?

So many thoughts to those families and fellow Australians , so many little children , who have lost their lives today . And also for Malaysian flight MH370 still missing .

If you feel you need to drink , post here first or maybe that was just my own bizarre reaction xx
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, because I would be using their deaths as an excuse to feed my addiction, which to me is selfish and dishonest.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I can use a hang nail as an excuse. Or even a splinter.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank on 9/11.
I had such a maelstrom of emotions and, back then, only one tool to deal with them.

The events of today shocked me in the same way, but I'm glad to have no impulse to drink

D
Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. With such horrid news events what good will drinking do except……………………
In life sober we need to accept things we can’t change and grieve for those that are lost along with their families.

BE WELL
Old 07-18-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awful news . . . but when I was drinking I didn't need much excuse, I drank because I was awake!!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I can use a hang nail as an excuse. Or even a splinter.
Good one Ken!

IOAA2 had one of my most favorite sig lines ever when I first joined this board.

"I only drink on special occasions, like the grand opening of a pack of cigarettes"
Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

There are so many tragic losses, but couple from Perth lost their 3 children, who were travelling with their grandfather to give the parents a few days extra in Europe. I just can't comprehend how that would feel.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think this is a classic, albeit tragic example of creating a new life to deal with life on life's terms. We have a tool kit to now cope and deal with life that does not require coping through substance abuse.

The World is always going to have tragic events and this does not minimize the exert of any individual tragedy. But to drink is to use an event as an excuse.

I have no triggers...I have only excuses to indulge in my own addictions, which diminish the work and tools I have struggled to develop.

I tend to find these worldwide humanitarian disasters and catastrophes make it easy to feel helpless and powerless. For me waking up and saying the following words have helped me immensely:

....grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nope **** happens and I can't change it or prevent it so why drink
Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yes, 9/11 - a turning point in my life for so many reasons. 9/11 hit way, way too close to home and it affected me profoundly; it was then that I turned to daily drinking (I was actually in the normal range for drinking before then; after that all bets were off.) Alcoholism was and is all over my family and I always knew if I wasn't careful I could easily succumb; I wasn't careful and I did. Once I found alcohol as a coping tool, it became my daily "go to".

So, yes, Snoozy, Malayasia Flight 17 would have once been a reason to go even further over the top. Not now, though; sobriety has become integrally important to my survival.

The horrors experienced by those aboard Malaysia Flight 17 are beyond comprehension and words.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As we know, we have NO CONTROL over
people, places or things in our life. No
control over disasters, catastophys that
happen.

Yes, they are sad and scarry and we get
filled with fear of the unknown or outcomes,
because they are certainly out of our hands.

During times like this and because they
are triggers that feed our addictions, the
need to dig deep within for strength, comfort,
Faith, fellowship of others in a recovery program,
that can and could keep us from reaching for
a deadly substance that could and would
kill us, destroy us, numb us, is a better, healthier
solution over all.

Grant me the serenity to Accept the
things I cannot change, Courage to
change the things I can. Wisdom to
know the difference.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Oh yes, 9/11 - a turning point in my life for so many reasons. 9/11 hit way, way too close to home and it affected me profoundly; it was then that I turned to daily drinking (I was actually in the normal range for drinking before then; after that all bets were off.) Alcoholism was and is all over my family and I always knew if I wasn't careful I could easily succumb; I wasn't careful and I did. Once I found alcohol as a coping tool, it became my daily "go to".

So, yes, Snoozy, Malayasia Flight 17 would have once been a reason to go even further over the top. Not now, though; sobriety has become integrally important to my survival.

The horrors experienced by those aboard Malaysia Flight 17 are beyond comprehension and words.
Exactly SoberLeigh thank God i have my year sobriety under my belt now . Nothing triggers me anymore . It's too precious to ever go down that road again . I'm glad you understand what i was trying to get at .

Thanks for your replies guys
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The day Michael Jackson died I used it as an excuse to drink and dance to his music in my living room. Would I do it now? No. I've realized that drinking does not honor anyone and does not make anything better.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
This!!!
Originally Posted by DopieDopeMan
No, because I would be using their deaths as an excuse to feed my addiction, which to me is selfish and dishonest.
and This!!!
Originally Posted by Readerbaby
I've realized that drinking does not honor anyone and does not make anything better.
As a nondrinker, I now know that times of tragedy like this call not for selfishness (drinking), but rather for selflessness. If one is religious, they may pray. If not, they may simply send out lovingkindness. Lots of us experience it as a much needed wake up call that might put us closer to our loved ones, or cause us to examine our priorities and our lives a little more closely. Those are ways that honor others, alive or dead.

Drinking in the face of tragedy just reinforces to me that my addiction is a piece of sh*t opportunist that has no scruples. It would run my grandmother over if it meant getting drunk.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I remember drinking after 7/7, thinking that life is too short to deprive yourself of anything. But, back then, I drank nearly every day anyway.

I feel completely differently now. Life is too short to spend it in an alcoholic haze. Life needs to be lived, fully, every day
Old 07-18-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Makes me pause and reflect how fragile we all are and any given moment the people we love most can be taken from us.

Do tragic events make me think of drinking? No, nothing causes me to entertain that idea any longer.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
There are so many tragic losses, but couple from Perth lost their 3 children, who were travelling with their grandfather to give the parents a few days extra in Europe. I just can't comprehend how that would feel.

Ooh FG i just saw the photo of those 3 gorgeous kids :-( to go from having 3 little kids to nothing would just be to unbearable to imagine .

image.jpg
Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Readerbaby ..you're post on this regarding MJ..brought back a flashback of I myself being drunk at the computer watching his old videos ..as well as stuff on Farrah Fawcett as she died same die. I felt like I lost two icon's of my youth that day. In truth, I think I was more upset about Farrah...
Nevertheless..from that flashback, was another about being drunk with my sister watching Princess Di's funeral...and then another of being at my Grandma's. I could go on and on..

I suddenly see how dishonourable it is to drown the loss of life in alcohol. My grandma deserved my authentic mourning...my respectful mourning. She lived a life of dignity and hard work.

The loss of life should be felt...authentically and respectfully.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post

I suddenly see how dishonourable it is to drown the loss of life in alcohol. My grandma deserved my authentic mourning...my respectful mourning. She lived a life of dignity and hard work.

The loss of life should be felt...authentically and respectfully.
So did mine Nuu :-( i hear ya xx