Notices

Almost had 6 months sober until last nite

Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost had 6 months sober until last nite

I was doing great with sobriety but I decided to drink last nite. I had been having drinking dreams for awhile but I didn't think it would lead to having such a strong craving yesterday. I was feeling lost and worried because my daughter is moving out and my Dad is in poor health. Just felt alone and hurt. Called in sick today. I may call a total stranger from a list of numbers I got at AA. I don't have friends just spend all my time with family. And they won't always be here. Rambling now. This post is a caution. An example of how you have to take care of yourself and watch out for triggers. Going back to sobriety. I am not defeated. I don't like drinking and waking up feeling depressed.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your six months, and it sounds like you have the correct attitude. Just get back up on your horse and keep going. It's a slip, not a relapse. You can do it!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LG - dust yourself off and get back on again, learn and move forward from the experience and use all the resources available to you to carry on sober.... we are here for you!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 6 months. With my relapses the best advice I got was KEEP COMING.

BE WELL
Old 07-17-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had almost 6 months and drank again....

But in my case, rather than a one-time slip, I consciously decided after almost 6 months that I was OK to go back to drinking as long as I was aware and drank 'responsibly' and made sure things were in balance when I was drinking and I wasn't drinking for "the wrong reasons".

Which actually seemed to "work".

For a little while.

So, you slipped - but you've done the right thing to talk about it and to get it off your chest and now you have a choice to get right back on your path of sobriety or to let this take you back to the place you know you really don't want to go again.

I'm glad to see your choice is to get back on track!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I had almost 6 months and drank again....

But in my case, rather than a one-time slip, I consciously decided after almost 6 months that I was OK to go back to drinking as long as I was aware and drank 'responsibly' and made sure things were in balance when I was drinking and I wasn't drinking for "the wrong reasons".

Which actually seemed to "work".

For a little while.

So, you slipped - but you've done the right thing to talk about it and to get it off your chest and now you have a choice to get right back on your path of sobriety or to let this take you back to the place you know you really don't want to go again.

I'm glad to see your choice is to get back on track!

I've heard this story a lot.. and have said it a lot too. It works... for a little while. But of course, eventually it gets worse than before and keeps snowballing. I think alcoholism permanently changes something in ourselves.. and if we pass a certain stage, it's like the boats behind us are burnt.. We can't go back!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job realizing you need to change something. I know I used that phone list a couple times and called people when I needed to be talked down or drink.

I would love it if I got a call from a total stranger who got my number from AA.

Looking forward...
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LooseGrip View Post
I may call a total stranger from a list of numbers I got at AA. I don't have friends just spend all my time with family. And they won't always be here.
Loose, everyone starts out a complete stranger. I know how hard it is to reach out, but that is one of the things my first sponsor stressed that I need to do - reach out, talk to other sober people, stay in touch. He was fond of saying that "alcoholism is a disease of loneliness that we try to cure with isolation."

As to yesterday - it is past. Today is a new day, choose differently and your tomorrow will start differently than today did. Learn the lesson and move on.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrads on the six months. Youve got a great attitude keep it up.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Went through the same thing. I'm on day 5 of sobriety.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go at it again!! You'll get there!!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support. And thank you for congratulating me on 6 months. I am proud of my sober time. Now I just want to sweat this poison out of my body. I really tied one on last nite. Went to a bar near my house and met a man who lives in my neighborhood. I didn't want to go home and have my 19 year old daughter see me so drunk so I risked my life and went home with this man. Fortunately he was not a rapist or worse and I had enough sense to leave when he tried to get me to sleep with him. I walked home and my daughter did see me and thats the worst part. She was not cruel about it like she has been in the past and is not giving me a hard time today. I loathe alcohol.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You've done 6 months sobriety, that means you cracked day one,week one,month one and month six before, that's an amazing achievement and if you've done it once, you can do it again. Keep going