Notices

Day 5 sober

Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 sober

Took son to ortho - remembered getting mad there once because they started my son's appt 30 mins late and I had to pick up another kid and got worried about time. I was so rude the orthodontist came out to my car, after my son and I had left the office, and apologized. I felt guilty because I probably had booze in me.

Then I had to drop my 2 older kids off for the camp bus. Saw a man I was rude to. We exchanged civil words but I felt like a sh-thead because I was just a bitch when I was drinking.

Then stayed to wave at the bus for a bit, then had to leave because the bus had been waiting for a latecomer...and this family, she had emailed me about something and got an incoherent rude drunk email back. One where I had to backtrack and apologize and make excuses.

If I drank too much, I always woke up and had to immediately check what emails I had sent and then FB to see if I posted something weird and/or offensive.

Took my little one to the mall and we saw "Malificient". I related SO much to Malificient. She's starts out fine, then she gets mad at the world and then she becomes happy again. You don't have to drink when you have super powers.

Then I took my daughter to the mall play place. I sat in the play area and there was a dad sitting in the waiting area. Later, when my daughter made a friend I went to sit in the waiting area. This dad had walked out into the hall to make a phone call.

Then he walked back inside and right past me to where he was sitting. He REEKED of alcohol. It was a strange moment.

I wondered if I ever reeked that bad. I felt guilty because I really don't know. I mean I can assume I did at times but if I knew it would just make me feel worse.

So lots of guilt today.

Bought a bunch of fruits and veggies, raw nuts and etc. Tomato juice. I don't want to be like the guy I saw at the play place.

I once saw a man when I picked up my daughter from gymnastics (a couple years ago) who reeked of booze. I hadn't drank anything (yet) that day.

Both of these men, the one I saw years ago at gymnastics and the one I saw today, both were calm and collected and not acting drunk at all.

They probably had NO idea they reeked of alcohol. I remember I used to think, I hope no one can smell booze on me and I would feel they couldn't because I was able to act normal.

If I didn't have kids in a school system they loved, I would move. Seriously. I'm sure I am a known drunk even though no one ever said anything to me. I'm sure I spoke to people and reeked of booze.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjuly View Post

If I drank too much, I always woke up and had to immediately check what emails I had sent and then FB to see if I posted something weird and/or offensive.
AHA this is so me. Except also my phone to see what texts I had sent and also what drunken phone calls I had made (some of which I might not remember)
Old 07-16-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What an interesting albeit challenging day -- you're almost to a week, you're doing really well!

As for the smell, now that I'm sober I'm incredibly sensitive to it, can smell if someone's had just one drink.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 5 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know what, that may be true but actions can change attitudes.

I also live in the town I was born in, and I have about three years of sober time now.

Many people I meet today have no idea I ever had a drinking problem, and the ones
that did, that I deal with on a daily basis, no longer even consider it a factor when
dealing with me.
It's like they all let it go long before I did.

So hold your head up and be proudly sober,
and have compassion for those men who are still lost in their addiction.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lawgirl82 View Post
AHA this is so me. Except also my phone to see what texts I had sent and also what drunken phone calls I had made (some of which I might not remember)
Oh yeah for sure.. I was the worst when it came to drunk texting.. at the end of my drinking reign of terror I deleted my Facebook but I couldn't delete my phone unfortunately..

I absolutely do NOT miss those days
Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
So hold your head up and be proudly sober,
and have compassion for those men who are still lost in their addiction.
I wanted to reach out to this guy yesterday, I mean, I had to say to myself, he's a stranger and there is no way you can talk to him, especially concerning alcohol! It was the same with the man at the my daughter's gymnastics, except I was still drinking at that point, but I just wanted to say, hey, I get it, I understand.

I remember the guy at gymnastics, I wanted to say, I know, you probably left work and had to take your daughter to a lesson that is one hour, enough time to run an errand...and maybe you have other kids and there are all these expectations on you.

Both these guys looked like wonderful dads but I wanted to reach out and say "I get it" but of course it's not my place, it just makes me sad because I know behind the drinking is pain and desperation.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJohnny View Post
Oh yeah for sure.. I was the worst when it came to drunk texting.. at the end of my drinking reign of terror I deleted my Facebook but I couldn't delete my phone unfortunately..

I absolutely do NOT miss those days
I deleted FB this past Saturday, the day I became sober. Even if I don't go on some drunken rant - now that I am sober I have a mess of a life to clean up! Bags of papers in the closet, drawers full of junk...no time for FB.

The only reason the house is not a complete mess is because my husband is a neat freak.

Oh and I yelled at my kids last week when drunk, told them they never clean, made them feel bad...and they cleaned. You know, drunk parenting.