Notices

Thanks husband!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks husband!

On our way to the fair and need to kill time. First stop is a brew house! Nice... Support is flowing from him!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Is there way to kill time someplace else? Leave him at the brew house and go window shopping?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You may not get a lot of support from your significant other for a while. Remember that normal people really don't have a clue what alcoholism is.

They don't understand what is going through our heads, they can't guess that going to a brewery is like nails on a blackboard or worse, in early recovery.

They just don't know. You can save yourself a lot of resentment and grief if you spell it out clearly and don't expect they will guess what you need. Just say you can't go to certain places at this early stage. If he won't accept it, well, that's another conversation....
Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Hang in there. Is there way to kill time someplace else? Leave him at the brew house and go window shopping?
I'm at a cute dress boutique right now!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

cute dresses or cute boutique?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Altho it is nice to have one's spouse supporting our efforts, our biggest support can come from our own determination to stay sober.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The lack of support can go the other way too- when my RAW had the crisis I responded as a classical codie, all judgy and self-rightous, getting into her business w/ our family, threats etc but I thought I was being authoritative (if not actually helpful) and active (because CLEARLY she was not making good decisions etc)

It took a couple months of determined alanon work to get through that and start acting more reasonably, I am making amends personally as circumstances permit.

Though I do think taking you to a brewery early on is tacky IMHO. Worse if he drank in front of you OTOH I guess everybody's situation is different. After a few months it starting becoming clear RAW's triggers are elsewhere so being in a bar isn't a problem for her, its stress related to family and medical issues for her.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know he just doesn't really get it yet. And he doesn't truly know how much I drank. He will be more supportive when he understands the big picture. And knows I'm serious. It's only been two days.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

And try to remember this is your journey, not his.

So, if he is supportive, that's great, but if he isn't, you can do this anyways.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hopefully coming on here, along with the shopping helped out. Maybe treat yourself to ice cream if things get bad . You can do it.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep it up. My wife doesnt know how bad i was either. It just told her it was very bad. Left out the mouthwash part. Just remember he will never truly understand our plight. My wife still doesnt understand fully. Anyway congradulations. Go forward.