Notices

Warning: Early Sobriety (again) Rant

Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi. I’m not into labels but I’ve said on occasion my name is Joe and I’m sober. Other times my name is Joe and I cannot drink alcohol in safety. I’ve been around the program for a good many years and when I get caught up in such things it’s part of my ism at work getting me angry or building up a resentment. Heck if I’m called a pickle I don’t have to leave or get upset for minor things. At times at meetings I even expect the sick to act well! I still need to EASY DOES IT and accept things I can’t change.

BE WELL
Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
[I]t may be worth reconsidering whether these strong emotional barriers regarding terms and descriptions are causing a resistance, something that blocks us from using a method that might otherwise be beneficial. Or maybe even save our lives.
Point taken. It is for that reason that I am even giving AA a try. In my area, it is the only way to be among real people battling the same problem. There is a SMART meeting but it is only once a week and about an hour's drive away. I do go ahead and introduce myself as an alcoholic. It just repels me to some degree. Not so much that I won't go to the meetings anymore, though.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you Joe. I like the "I'm sober" idea.

What in the world did we do before Google? I found the following in a quick search. I find it incredibly interesting that the OLDEST AA group in existence in Akron never adopted the "Hi my name is..and I'm an alcoholic".

http://anonpress.org/faq/328

They just say "Hi my name is Joe"..or in my case "Hi, my name is Tracey"
Old 07-16-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nice rant Nuu - I hope it, and the great responses here, lightened your load

I dunno about the AA stuff but I do know I've accomplished more in 7 years sober than I did in the 20 years before that.

I don't like to dwell in the past either, other than to share my story and learn whatever lessons I can.

It's right now that counts for me.

D
Old 07-16-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Nice rant Nuu - I hope it, and the great responses here, lightened your load

I dunno about the AA stuff but I do know I've accomplished more in 7 years sober than I did in the 20 years before that.

I don't like to dwell in the past either, other than to share my story and learn whatever lessons I can.

It's right now that counts for me.

D
Thanks Dee. Right now it seems AA is the easiest way to get my arse out of the house. I'm not sure how long it will last in all honesty. I need things to do...

Well, there is that freaking guitar collecting dust in the corner that I bought LAST time I sobered up. It will come....my life will naturally unfold in enlargement if I just stick with it. Right now I am so freaking lazy..and driving across town for an hour don't take much effort.

Only time will tell.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Well, there is that freaking guitar collecting dust in the corner that I bought LAST time I sobered up.
You have one of those, too? Mine is also in my corner collecting dust. I got it as a gift from my ex-SO nearly 4 years ago. Last time I was sober I was teaching myself to play, but lost interest when I picked up the bottle again. I also have a keyboard, which I do know how to play, but it is collecting dust, as well. Alcohol has a way of sucking all the life out of us, doesn't it?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I choose to not use labels for myself or for anyone else, if possible.

I don't use AA so I have no advice to offer you, but I am so much more than alcoholic. And, it's knowing that I am so much more than alcoholic, that keeps me happy and recovering.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I used to drink too much. I don't drink now. Ever. Why would I call myself what I view as a pejorative name for a behavior I haven't done in years? I seldom go to AA, but the last time I just said "Hi, I'm Ru". I try not to speak at all when I'm there as I don't follow their path. But sometimes I just like to be amongst my tribe.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What a brilliant read Trace

Geez are we on the same wavelength or what !

I wish you lived closer so we could hook up for a coffee . Your posts always resonate with me in some way or another and you always have a gift of hitting the nail on the head .

Thanks for sharing , i love your honesty sober sister xxx
Old 07-16-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just my thoughts, but I was ANGRY at the categorisation of the word alcoholic in the beginning. Because it kept me from getting help, or admitting I had a problem for such a long time.

The stereotypes that society has, makes it easy for people to say, oh I'm not that bad, or worse, the term "high-functioning alcoholic". That annoys me too. It's like saying, my life is really together, I just drink til I'm $--tfaced and have no way of managing my alcohol intake. But other than that, hey, I'm high-funcitioning, I'm great.

Then I've noticed a few posts here of late of people saying, oh, there aren't really many real alcoholics here, just people who might drink too much or be dependent on alcohol.

Really...really? That annoys me too. Like somehow it's easier for some than others because they somehow aren't as addicted to alcohol.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with the word itself, just the problem that society seems to seperate the extreme as being alcoholic, but if you can string together some kind of a facade of a life, then you aren't really a fully fledged alcoholic. Which I think is incorrect.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

All I can say is thank you, God, for SR because my fear of being labelled an "alcoholic" is what keeps me away from AA. I always think of AA as a last resort and luckily I have been able to.stay sober without attending. I am not saying my phobia makes me proud, but it is true. Reality is that alcohol isn't good for anyone. You would never tell someone to moderate heroin or crack. Thanks for another wonderful, honest post, Nuu.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

i really liked what you were saying about subtle differences in how we describe disabilities, soberlicious.

one thing that i havent seen mentioned in this thread is how these labels work in peoples' heads. once a label is attached it will flavor any negative emotion you display for some folks. you could have a legitimate meltdown, and some will instantly link this to a drug that you have stopped using. this happens all the time, and i admit it may have had a role in my avoidance of any "you have a problem" conversation in years past.

i know we're not supposed to worry much about what others think, but coming out of the closet and going to rehab had an unexpected consequence for me. i realize that those close to me may think im being a "dry drunk" every time im upset. i have found myself reigning in my reactions. dont want to be GRANDIOSE! dont want to throw a TANTRUM! appear EUPHORIC, etc.

this all brought to light another surprise: although i deal with things better than when i was active, the world is STILL not a very well run place, and i can get upset if i pay too much attention to it. Not a stepper, but love that serenity prayer! LOL!