Notices

CONSEQUENCE list

Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Health failing

I couldn't believe I got to the point that I did with my health. Everything was falling apart. Drinking became all work and no play.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

- Hangovers - leave me depressed and in a state of self-loathing. It also causes me to sleep in and waste most of the day which makes me feel worthless
- Financially - drinking is expensive and adds up.
- Relationships – drinking causes me to argue more frequently with people I care about, and it also worries people who care about me
- Health – drinking to excess has negative effects on liver, etc.
- Fitness – drinking gets in the way of my fitness goals
- Work - there are times when I have to call in sick because I am too hungover
- Dependency – I don’t really like the idea of being dependent on anything.
- “Life Passing Me By” – drinking makes it more difficult to accomplish my goals and puts me on a path that makes me unhappy/regretful
Old 11-03-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi all! I started this thread in July and sadly (even after reading and writing consequences) alcohol still OWNS me! I drank again last night but not much. Day 1 again! :-(

I revisited this thread this morning and read through all of the horrible consequences in hopes that it will help me avoid picking up a drink again.

Let's add more! Anyone got some they want to dump?

Have a sober day! Be well! :-)
Old 11-03-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

A veil thrown over the true Joy of living on this brief ride as a human.

The inability to experience LIFE for all that it is.

The deprivation of Self - both of one's experiences of life and all those who share it as well as Life and those who share it being deprived of experiencing our True Selves.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Keeping my head up!

Not being able to even look in the mirror!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
I revisited this thread this morning and read through all of the horrible consequences in hopes that it will help me avoid picking up a drink again.
Horrible consequences don't seem to matter, do they. I've known people to drink to their death. So I'm not sure what the value of adding to the list will do.

When you are ready to face the consequences of sobriety, you'll quit drinking.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

1. Feeling bad about myself, loss of self-confidence, berating myself for drinking.
2. Worrying when I'll start having significant health problems
3. Avoiding my doctor since I'm embarrassed about the drinking and don't want him to find out.
4. Double-checking my phone in the morning to see what I may have texted to my mother while drunk.
5. Shame of embarrassing my husband.
6. Wondering if I look like an alcoholic.
7. Embarrassment that I can outdrink my husband several times over
8. Embarrassment when my husband empties out the recycle bin
9. Eating crappy food the next day to soothe my stomach from drinking the night before
10. Not being able to look at myself in the mirror since I am ashamed of myself.
11. Panicking at 3 in the morning about random things with my heart fluttering rapidly
12. Worrying if I quit I might suffer withdrawals.
13. Wondering if I am going to be remembered as the alcoholic aunt to my nieces and nephews
14. Having lower backache pain after drinking
15. Having that dull pain in my right quadrant on occasion.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

For a long long time, I pretty much drank unchecked. i drank when I wanted it. Things are different now. I in no way shape of form want to drink. But my husband is still drinking unchecked and comes home everynight with booze. Badda bing, badda boom...i F up.

Today HAS to be the day. I'm tired of.....

Rationalizing spending $11 on a bottle of rum, but those $8 vitamins for my son is too pricey (wow that hurts to type out)

My liver hurts.

I'm in constant fear from the moment I open my eyes.

I have fleeting moments of happiness, but nothing substantial.

People ALWAYS used to tell me i look like Catherine Zeta Jones. I haven't gotten a second glance from a man in ages.

Drinking half the mortgage away per month.

House is messy because frankly i don't care about anything anymore.

The thought of leaving my son without a mom. I'm his world.

The tearful moments when this all hits me in the gut, and i think God, what have i done?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Horrible consequences don't seem to matter, do they. I've known people to drink to their death. So I'm not sure what the value of adding to the list will do. When you are ready to face the consequences of sobriety, you'll quit drinking.
Well at least I'm trying...
Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

trying? You started a thread last week vowing never to make excuses again. You have been blacked out, embarrassed your kids, been banned from a bar, and this is just the little I have read about.

They already think you are a drunk, you drink to celebrate their little sports game victories, you worried that their coaches had seen you falling down drunk.

But yet you drink every week, while I don't doubt that this controls your life, what are you doing to NOT drink? Do you have counseling? a big plan? what is YOUR motivation? it's not your young children, your husband, your family. There is something, I hope.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Fat (gained 60 pounds in 4 years. I used to be attractive, but not anymore.)
Feeling hopeless
Feeling powerless
Isolation
Constant tension, especially in my face
Flaky skin
Rushing through everything to get to "drinking time"
Constantly wondering if people know I'm an alcoholic, or seem drunk
Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Guilt. And more guilt.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Living life in a real ground-hog day; having a 'Day 1' over and over and over and........
Old 11-03-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

loss of computer and internet connection : ) as your bound to end up with no more money left and sell everything to buy more booze
Old 11-03-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I find that when I am sober (6 days now), I can think about not drinking, consequences of starting again. I also think about why I drank and would it be ok to do so again.

When I am drinking, I just think about drinking.

This is why it is so much better to live a sober life, because there is so much more to life than drinking booze.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Agreed..let's stay positive and offer help not shoot arrows. I think this is a fabulous thread - thanks for starting it!

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 11-03-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

To clarify, I am in agreement with Serenidad. Thanks for this thread!

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Well at least I'm trying...
Of course you are and everyone here knows how difficult it can be. Sometimes we don't want to hear what we need to be told about ourselves though.

Doggoncarl and Fandy have your best interests at heart. Despite those words being conveyed to you are indeed very blunt, they are not intended to hurt you or malicious.

I wouldn't blame Fandy for not wanting to post here anymore, instead I would consider why what these SR members said to you made you become so upset? Was there a certain truth to some of it? Did it spark something within you?

Not sure and only you do Serenidad. But, I would dig to find out why these comments struck such a cord with me. Please keep posting as I loved reading this thread and feel its helped me. Even if just for today.

Be Well.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

There are a lot of sincere people here and some are not so. How do you get a DUI in 2008, claim 6 years of sobriety, but then state you have been drinking since October 2013? Unless the sober time was cumulative not consecutive, which is fine, but you can't mislead people.

I certainly can relate to struggling, there are some days I would sell my thumbs for a glass of wine and sit like a normal person. But I do other things instead because I know what will happen, there isn't enough wine in the world for me.

However, I am not self-pitying, nor do I pretend to be something I am not (or someone's husband). I post in Newcomers all the time, there is no law that says I can't because I have 3.5 years, after many years of drinking that is pretty new.

Doing the same routine over and over and not trying to find a way out of the circle is not helping you, then crying that your feelings are hurt because someone tells you that your methods are NOT successful. You ASKED me where I got my information and I pointed out what you have posted, there are a lot of statements that are *confusing*.

As others have said before me also, you must realize that your kids do know when you are drunk and hungover, you are not fully present for your children, no matter what their ages.

Zoloft never works well with booze.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good bye and good luck everyone! I have decided that I no longer want to use SR as a recovery tool so I just wanted to wish you all the best!

I had 5 years, 6 months and 9 days of sobriety once when I was using AA.(sorry I have been rounding up to six years because it was easier. Maybe I should have rounded down to 5) I have no choice but to go back...to save my OWN life.

I didn't think it really mattered. I was sober, I relapsed, I want to get sober again and I need help.

God Bless!