Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Newby - really wanting to stop the bottle of wine habit everynight xx

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hiya Everyone,
This is my 1st post in SR. Really really really wanting to give up my "bottle of wine every night before bed" habit.
The hell that I'm putting myself through is unreal .... I feel such an idiot & a fool.
I have 2 wonderful children & a fab hubby. Yet I still seem hell bent on poisoning myself.
I've been in hospital with stomach & oesophagus problems, all due to drinking.....I've been told to stop by the hospital - if I don't I'm setting myself up for some serious problems soon.
I'm nearly 4 stone over weight, my hair is falling out, my skin is terrible. I'm on Sertraline aswell for anxiety - though I'm guessing it's not doing much as the wine will be draining it out of my system. Just feel like I'm constantly

thanks for reading.
xxxx
Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Shenzy
You'll find a lot of support understanding and friendship here

You're smart to think of stopping now - it really gets no better the further you go down that road.

Read around and post as much as you like

Check out our Class of July support group too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

D
Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There is plenty of support here and great folks.

It not easy to change but I think you made the biggest step, admitting to yourself that something is wrong with your relationship with Alcohol.

Secondly you are reaching out, and that's just critical for tour success. Doing this alone is practically impossible for the majority of us. We need support from people that "get it".

Good luck and congratulations for making the jump to sobriety.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. It’s so important to be honest with ourselves about our drinking AND if we are alcoholics accept the fact we can not drink in safety.
Alcoholism is very progressive and always gets worse if we feed it alcohol. It’s also powerful, cunning and insidious often making us thing we can handle it.
I suggest you keep coming and reading these posts along with asking for help when needed. I personally supplement face to face meetings to stay in recovery.

BE WELL
Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
xuse

Welcome
Old 07-16-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

HI Shenzy. Welcome.

You know that much daily alcohol could be the cause of your anxiety, don't you?

If you're ready to quit, then quit. See your doctor and be honest with him about your drinking. He can help you over the initial problems and help with the cravings later. Come back here and read, find local face-to-face support, explore every avenue of aid and use what works to stop drinking. Hang on to every little advance you make in defeating this addiction. We're here to help.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome Shenzy!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Shenzy. A bottle or more was my nightly habit, I ditched it 16 months ago and my life and health have turned around completely. You can do it too.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome from down south, Shenzy!

I drank gin for years and built up a sizeable addiction, but it was when I discovered wine that my addiction exploded beyond all imagining! I was regularly drinking two bottles at a time, usually to black out. Finally, I came to on the bathroom floor covered in blood with no idea how I'd got there or what had happened. The panic on my partner's face combined with the humiliation of explaining to A&E that, at 52, I'd drunk myself stupid, was enough to jolt me into reality.

It was very hard at first and I missed my Chardonnay. I'd always loved my wine glasses and couldn't bear the thought of not using them again, so I used to have tonic water in them and that helped me feel as though I was making a choice and not missing out

It quickly got better. Once the physical and psychological benefits kicked in, they really helped cement my resolve.

Does your husband know how much you drink and how big a problem it is for you? I ask that because my partner's support has been fundamental in my recovery. As is reading and posting here

Try it. You could change the lives of all four of you - and find a peace you never knew existed
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! It's great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had horrible anxiety when I drank. I thought my drinking quieted that anxiety. Indeed it did - for an hour or so.

What I didn't realize is that the alcohol was causing my anxiety. The effect it has on the central nervous system is pretty bad. Racing heart/constant worry, depression, anxiety, fear.

Since I've stopped they have all gone away. Go figure.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Shenzy, to SR; glad you found this site.

Like you (and HeadLump) and many, many others, wine (particularly Chardonnay) was my daily poison and, like HeadLump, I missed it at first. Now I can barely stand to look at a bottle of Chardonnay; the memories almost make me nauseous. (And, HeadLump, I still use by wine glasses, too; I fill them with frozen M&Ms and drink-up!!!!).

You can beat this, Shenzy; you can put this misery behind you and SR is here to help; it is open 24/7 - there is always someone here to offer support, encouragement and, most importantly, true understanding.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words & support. It's good to know that I'm not alone. I know my anxiety & self loathing is 100 times worse due to the wine.....
HeadLump - yes, my hubby knows how much I drink - he also enjoys a glass of wine in the evening - but he can have a glass and that's it. He knows how I feel about my drinking and he's supportive. He has 2 family members who are alcoholics - I'm not sure the term used, if there is one (full blown alcoholics) but both his family members have a bottle of vodka for breakfast - a few beers for lunch - pass out in the afternoon for a few hours then have 3 bottles of wine for dinner, they don't eat, they both have all kinds of health problems going on - we've no idea how their livers have held out this long ..... I guess he sees his 2 family members and what they're drinking and although he's supportive towards me and my wanting to stop drinking....he doesn't think that a bottle of wine is too bad.

Day 1 it is for me today .....

thanks again everyone.
xx
Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Shenzy

D
Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Shenzy

I'm a mum with a young child and I also drank at least a bottle of wine a night. I genuinely didn't know how I would deal with life without it.

I've been sober 19 months now and my life is so much better than it was. I used to read on SR about how people said their lives had turned round considerably when they quit and how much better their lives were. I just didn't really think that could be me or my life could change that much.

It did though, Life is so much better without wine and I am a totally different person than I once was. I also suffer from anxiety but as another poster said,the alcohol was causing the anxiety. I still get occasional bouts of anxiety but nowhere near as bad as they were and I have better ways of managing it.

I hope you stick around-you can do this
Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Shenzy I am a mother of 7 and have a partner. I am also on sertraline and figure that the alcohol is making things ten times worse for me. The anxiety the depression the guilt! I am on day 5. You can get there with lots of support and encouragement I wish you well x
Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello Shenzy

I'm a Mum of 4 , there are lots of us Mums on here .

I'm so glad you have joined us , you'll get so much support here .

I too was a bottle of wine a night girl , but it never stays that way ..it progressed to 2 then 3 at times to get the same buzz or to get to sleep .

Do this for your kids , do this for you . Give them back all of their Mum .

Believe me , no matter how young they are , they will remember and throw it back on you when they are older . They see and hear everysingle drunken word or action.

I so wish i had found SR 10 years ago , i really do .

I'm so happy for you that you are ready to make this change .

I came here last July asking for help , i haven't had a drink since and everything has changed .

My kids respect me , they want to see me .

We had a little one year celebration at a dessert cafe .

I don't need anxiety pills anymore , my sleeping is much better naturally , my blood pressure is normal , I've reversed diabetes . It's a win , win situation

Good luck , i know you can do this xxx
Old 07-17-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi there! I am a mom of three! Merlot was my choice! Drank until blackout at least three times a week. Couple nights a week of hazy recollections. I too have anxiety, now at five months in it has ebbed almost completely. I do take medication, but now it finally is able to do its job!!! I am finding incredible mental benefits and my overall demeanor is just so much better! I am also addressing a couple health issues that I have been ignoring, thyroid and blood disorders. I have absolutely no idea how I functioned in my life now that I am sober. My kids are incredibly active and fun and are all over the place. My husband is so supportive and after 17 years and MANY challenges, I am happiest now! Good luck, hang in. Every challenge gets you closer.