Notices

9 year anniversary tomorrow night, hard to not drink

Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Serenidad, your story helped me so much! I can't thank you enough. I know I can do it, all of these "firsts" are hard. I know this is a long road and I know it's not going to help my marriage really. I just remembered on our 5 year anniversary we got into a huge argument, went home early and didn't even sleep in the same bed because I brought up a very heavy topic while drinking, became emotional, and things escalated. Come to think of it I think 90% of our arguments have happened when I we were drinking. I can see how difficult it would be to be with someone who drinks because it's really in your face. I'm so lucky that my husband doesn't care about drinking at all. Again thank you for sharing your story with me.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ccam, thank you so much for sharing! I know that if I went back to drinking it would be worse than before. I also don't want to go back to those early days again. It's awesome that you got back in track so quickly!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hereandnow2 View Post
I just remembered on our 5 year anniversary we got into a huge argument, went home early and didn't even sleep in the same bed because I brought up a very heavy topic while drinking, became emotional, and things escalated. Come to think of it I think 90% of our arguments have happened when I we were drinking.
We've had anniversaries like that and most of our fights happened under the influence also. Sobriety won't fix all of our problems, but at least alcohol won't be fueling them.
  # 24 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Love gmo's answer! There's nthg worth drinking over today. If you, do then mth & half is down the drain plus getting a new regret.
  # 25 (permalink)  

Melki, sounds like an amazing dinner! I can't wait to tell you how my night goes tomorrow night!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There are loads of events that I used to drink at, watching sport, weddings, birthdays, funerals, going out for dinner, sitting in the sun after work, holidays, New Year's, Christmas etc etc

So I can definitely relate to being tempted when all these occasions started to occur when I first got Sober, for me though recognising that at all these events there are also non drinkers, I never realised it before, but there are people at weddings who don't drink, people out for dinner who don't drink, it was an eye opener but a really helpful perspective to help me through it all!!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Anniversary was perfect! Ate dinner on rooftop at the four seasons overlooking the city! Amazing dessert and coffee. Saw some live music, talked, laughed, and won't be hungover when my kids get up bright and early! Thanks so much everyone for your responses.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That is wonderful! Sounds like a sensational evening! I bet the morning after was just as good:-)