Notices

today sucks

Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

today sucks

Its been a really bad day at work so far. All i keep thinking about is a cigarette and four pack of........ beer......... in trying hard not to relapse when i get get off work..... its just everyone seems to reply be getting on my nerves today. Or could it just be my withdrawals that'll me on edge an super crank. Day 5 sucks
Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would guess it's a combo of both. At day 5 you are still possibly in the acute withdrawal phase. Instead of drinking make sure you get something good to eat, something to drink and some rest after work. Try concentrating on the task you have at hand workwise and don't really worry about what others are doing - you can't control that anyway.

Also remember that if you drink you pretty much reset your withdrawals back to square one. Day one sucks much worse than annoying people at work. Here's a refresher if you don't remember

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4774686
Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tonib... Day 5 really sucks!!!! I always suffer so know what you're going through but hey, it's nearly over & tomorrow will be day 6... psychologically that makes a big difference & always found that I was coming out of the other side. hang in there, it does get better..
Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh just hang on one more day? Do it. One day. Thus day.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate -- I'm on day four and today was a very stressful day at work. More than once my thoughts have drifted to that 4pm cocktail I used to think spelled relief. Hang in there, go for a long walk or try exercise as a supplement to relieve your stress. Go see a movie, read a good book or find a sponsor that might help you through these first few weeks.

You CAN do this!!
>AH
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's tough to break that self-medicating mentality, but you can do it. It will feel wrong at first... at 5 days your mind is still going right to the bottle for answers. You can retrain it by deciding against that drink, again and again. Each time you decide against it you are creating a minute amount of progress...

Just be okay with today sucking - nothing has to happen as a result of the day sucking. My day has sucked pretty badly too You know what works for me though, is gratitude. I know you might roll your eyes when you read this, but thinking about what you have generates better feelings than focusing on what pisses you off.

In early sobriety I would call my sponsor and tell him how overwhelmed I was with it all, and he would say "hang up, write a list of the first 5 blessings you have that come to mind, and call me back." Seems cheesey, but it works if you let it. Hang in there - sucky days suck indeed, but a sucky day tomorrow will suck more with a hangover...
Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Hey, I just found out a $300 boat repair will be $1,200, and I already have it sold, so I'm losing $900! Ahhhhhh!

However, no matter what life throws at us, the day will remain great as long as I don't drink. Money is less important than my health and relationships, and wanting to slowly (or quickly) kill myself with booze.

Constantly need to remind myself that no matter what goes bad in my day, would I trade not having it for quitting drinking?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank u guys so much an thanks for reminding me of day 1 whew that really sucked. I just took my lunch an went to go get some ice cream an bottle of water... whew i feel a little better. Thanks an stay around i may need u after work
Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by tonib View Post
I just took my lunch an went to go get some ice cream...

Behold the Power of Ice Cream!

Old 07-15-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

mmmmm, Ice cream !
Old 07-15-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

It's the cure, I"m tellin' ya'!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 5 was about the pinnacle of my edgyness. Day six was tenfold better. Keep it up.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hang in there. It gets better as long as you stay sober.