Notices

I really need some advice please xx

Old 07-15-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi SnoozyQ - Before I got sober I was always drunk or recuperating, never really relaxing. So ten months later, after getting sober, I'm relaxing. Now I know myself well enough that I could easily go from relaxing to outright laziness, and isolate, so I try to balance my relaxing time with some socializing and/or at least getting out of the house and being around other people (just so I don't get too loopy). I've recently "discovered" yoga. I love it despite my arthritic knee, lack of flexibility, and vertigo issues, and yoga instructors are just really nice, accepting people. It's very healing. I do my yoga, feel great, then go home and relax. Think about what you love and go for it, but don't ever feel bad about relaxing!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes yes yes Hevyn!!! Can we do Logan? As bad as driving in Boston is I've driven through NYC a couple of times and I thought it was even worse! I guess it would depend - would I have to get near the George Washington tunnel? That was a nightmare!

SnoozyQ - you have room for two?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Snoozy dear! I think the subject of your thread shows that you're in a great place in recovery -- some people say (I don't know if it's an AA thing) that the first year is physical and the second is mental. I know after about 3.5 decades of hard drinking, it took me a year (and, unfortunately, a relapse) to shake some of the wear and tear of alcoholism out of my body, so that I could even look around and realize, hey, I need something to do!

I still spend a lot of time in bed but I'm taking baby steps to engage more with the world. It's kind of trial and error with me. I try to think of little things that might interest me, then test them out, and do them again if they're rewarding. Shopping turns out to be a 'no' LOL.

Here's something Dee asked me a while back: what do you care about?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteer work - look around your community and see what you can give back. You'll make new friends and it won't revolve around drinking.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow , i am so glad i reached out , i really thought twice about it as i felt i should have ' got myself together ' by now .

Nuu , you could never offend i read every word of your post and such good food for thought , thanks , my friend

Whyme , even my dogs don't eat my leftover cooking lol ! Xx

Hev and Eyes , pack your bags Fly out to a Australia , I'd gladly show you around i only have one broomstick tho girls

Thanks Anna , courage and tiptree xxxxx
Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I missed this Snooz

You always seem plenty busy to me but if you think there's room for improvement there's certainly some great suggestions here

i really thought twice about it as i felt i should have ' got myself together ' by now
as compared to what tho? LOL

Trust me, Snooz, we're all works in progress.

.D
Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Snoozy,

I am an introvert, a homebody and a hermit. When I leave my house it has to be for something I really, really want to do. A play I want to see, the symphony doing 'Rhapsody in Blue', low tide at the beach, David Sedaris doing a reading.

When I had been sober for a bit I decided a way to get me out of the house was to take continuing education classes at the local college. I took a drawing class and remembered that I really used to like doing art. A lot. I now have been painting for a few years and spend quite a bit of my time doing that.

Take a bunch of classes and find something that really interests you. And do things that you want to do.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
Wow , i am so glad i reached out , i really thought twice about it as i felt i should have ' got myself together ' by now .

Nuu , you could never offend i read every word of your post and such good food for thought , thanks , my friend

Whyme , even my dogs don't eat my leftover cooking lol ! Xx

Hev and Eyes , pack your bags Fly out to a Australia , I'd gladly show you around i only have one broomstick tho girls

Thanks Anna , courage and tiptree xxxxx
Isn't it interesting - I get what you are saying about almost putting a time limit on when we think we should be "better" or "back to normal". I have never actually never thought about it before (heck probably have just never had enough time under my belt to contemplate it) so this has truly made me wonder. What I have come up with is not only should there not be some set time frame (we are all different) but, at least for me, I'm going to have to come to grips with that I'm just not going to be the same person I used to be - I'm going to be a new me, so I can't even compare myself with myself, never mind others!

Oh my, the broomstick comment made me laugh so hard! Just be careful what you agree to, someday there may be some yankee on your doorstep waiting to be let in!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Indeed - it could happen!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I would welcome you with open arms , love to show you around xx

Old 07-16-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Snoozy a blogger I admire wrote this about what she was trying to do after recovering from 'flu.

* Clean something.
* Cook something.
* Plan something.
* Read something.
* Write something.
* Fix something.
* Sew something.
* Serve someone.

It may give you some ideas.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Marcher , thanks love xxx makes sense
Old 07-16-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Can I come with you Eyes? Shall we fly out of Logan or JFK?

Wait for me!!!!!! I can make it to Logan or JFK in a jiffy.

SnoozyQ, here we come!!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hahaha Leigh ;-) the more the merrier lol I'll grab an extra broomstick hun ...see you soooon xxx
Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're gonna need a few more broomsticks for sure.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

File your dilemma under "Great Problems to Have", Snoozy! It's awesome that you have made it to this point! Congrats. At first just being sober was "enough" for me. Just daily life felt like a miracle sober. I had once resigned myself to the fact that I would just drink my life away, then at some point when I'd abused my body enough it would just stop. Like a clock with a dead battery I would just quit working.

Well, after a while I got a bit restless. After all, I stopped drinking to save my life but also to transform it into something else. I'm not there yet but I'm working on it. With luck I just have one semester of school left to get my Bachelor's degree.

I reached the point a few months ago where just not-drinking wasn't enough of a health transformation so I began strength training. Wow! What a difference. At 45 I'm stronger than I was at 25 and improving almost weekly. I feel like I've rolled the calender back a few years.

I guess my take on it is that it's great that you're bored. It means you're ready to do more with your life than not waste it. But it's not easy to figure out what to do with this unexpected gift of life. Can't help you much there; it will come down to your own interests. Maybe take up a new hobby? Is there something you always wanted to learn to do that you never managed in your drinking years? Are you interested in an online course? There are some great free online classes. Maybe find an author you like and start reading? Maybe join a gym?