Notices

Roadblocks to recovery

Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

For me it was when alcohol started to impact my work. I cannot afford to lose my job and that was a big wake up call. It was also costing me too much money, money that I should have been putting away for my retirement. I'm one week in and really hoping this time I stick with it for good.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wanted to quit all the time. Every day I'd quit drinking/ using drugs. I would wake up hungover and promise myself and god and anyone who would listen that I'd never do it again. At that time I didn't really care about being sober, only about not drinking.

It wasn't until I WANTED SOBRIETY more than I wanted to quit using that I was able to make significant progress in my recovery.

I don't think there was anything anyone could have told me that would have helped me WANT to quit, although I did try doing a cost benefit analysis which helped me to shift my thinking to WANT SOBRIETY.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If I am completely honest, I will admit that even now, with 57 days behind me, I still really don't want to quit for good. I know I should. I know I will be healthier. I know that I will make better decisions. I realize that the extent of my drinking was causing me problems. I realize that it was a big financial burden. Those are the reasons I am attempting to quit, but I also admit that I really enjoy having my wine. I really miss it a lot, and if there was some way I could go back to drinking responsibly and moderately, there's no way I would even think about quitting. I'm not one of those people who is telling myself that I will never ever have another drink. There are times in the past couple of months I definitely would have had some wine if I hadn't been taking the antabuse, so I consider that a lifesaver in getting me to a point where I might decide that I DO want to quit for good. Right now, telling myself that I will never ever have a glass of wine again is daunting. If I think of it that way I most certainly will not succeed, so I guess the one day at a time model is the best one for me. Hoping to want sobriety forever in the future, but I'm not there yet, by a long shot.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

The sad thing is guys that the more years you put off quitting drinking,. the more disastrous consequences you'll attract.

It can, and does get worse.

I've never met anyone here who said 'gee I wish I'd hadn't quit drinking so soon'.

It's a leap of faith to stop before you reach the train smash stage, but I guarantee you guys it's the best way to go

D