Notices

called 'boring' for not drinking

Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

called 'boring' for not drinking

I was shocked when my sister (I haven't seen her in years and is visiting) called me boring for not drinking.

It really hurt. She's someone I thought would have my back always. What I thought was going to be some happy reunion is stressing me out.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like she wanted a cocktail buddy. I'm actually funnier when I'm sober

Have an escape plan if this reunion is stressing you out and your sobriety is in jeopardy......not worth it.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I got Sober it opened my eyes as to the lack of understanding there is amongst family and non family members alike, people can have a hard time grasping "I'm not drinking"!!

SR is in your corner though!!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

After what I've been called when I was drinking, I would have thanked her.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You could ask her why your not drinking bothers her.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

To be honest, I wouldn't allow someone in my life who said that, at least not for some time. I was so vulnerable when I stopped drinking I couldn't afford for anyone to say something nasty to me.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found that my being sober can actually be intimidating to other people. Their comments come out sideways. Most people also do not understand what we go through and who we are as sober people. Maybe she needs a little education when the time is right.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm assuming that you're an alcoholic, or at least someone that cannot stop drinking once you start. If that's the case, then you'll most likely end up having a more enjoyable time without the alcohol.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have found boring to be infinitely better than dead or in jail. Generally speaking I have found that those who do not support a loved ones sobriety have a problem of their own.

Where ever you are I think now is a good time to leave.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People just dont get it. My wife is slowly starting to understand. She would always say "just have a couple". I try to tell her what its like to have to wake up and do a few shots just so you quit vomiting. They will never understand. Im happy for them that they dont have to. Just do whats right for you.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking is a sheep like boring thing to do.

Sober is non conformist and cool.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I tend to give a pass to people who make one-off comments like this because IMO most people don't understand their own ignorance about addiction. However, if someone where to keep insisting I have a drink I would have to kindly tell them to mind their business.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

" Boring" haha, don't stress that my friend. Take breath, and know that you have a new non boring life ahead. Boring, I don't know the meaning of boring, well in that context.

What if I said not being sober is boring? What if I said inebration is boring, what if I said even it wasn't boring its still not real? Tell here, I am real, are you real? Reality isn't boring, go bore (pun intended) you a hole in the ground and think about who you are and what you said? If she doesn't get it, one day she will, and you will no longer be " boring" stay safe and sober my friend
Old 07-13-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Boring is better than drama and being around intoxicated people
Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my experience, people who make comments like this do so to feel better about their own excesses.

How long is she visiting for?
Old 07-13-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Double posted. Sorry.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have come to embrace what people call "boring." What I had before being sober was not boring and it sucked. Be grateful things are "boring."
Old 07-13-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'll take "boring" over "nutjob," "headcase," "lunatic," "a-hole", or any of the other million choice words people had for me during the worst of my binges. "Boring" doesn't land you in handcuffs, it doesn't make your family hate you, it doesn't destroy your liver, and it doesn't drive away all the good people in your life.

So yeah, I'd probably take "boring" as a compliment right now, but the truth is, you aren't, and neither am I. I'm actually interesting when sober because I do a variety of things and can have meaningful conversations. When I drank, all I did or cared about was drinking more. That, to me, is "boring"...
Old 07-13-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
I'll take "boring" over "nutjob," "headcase," "lunatic," "a-hole", or any of the other million choice words people had for me during the worst of my binges. "Boring" doesn't land you in handcuffs, it doesn't make your family hate you, it doesn't destroy your liver, and it doesn't drive away all the good people in your life.

So yeah, I'd probably take "boring" as a compliment right now, but the truth is, you aren't, and neither am I. I'm actually interesting when sober because I do a variety of things and can have meaningful conversations. When I drank, all I did or cared about was drinking more. That, to me, is "boring"...
Well said that man!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I hope she won't be there long. She sounds like she is missing a drinking partner. Misery loves company. She may be a wonderful person, but she just doesn't get it. Try not to let it get to you. Your sobriety is important.