Notices

I don't know how to stop...

Old 07-14-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Dragon - I really like the concept of 'adding in lots of good' so there is less room for the 'bad'. You said you like yoga and regular exercise. I'm in very early recovery but I really try to do some exercise every day - even if that is a brisk 20 minute walk if I have a hectic day. I have changed my whole diet and really eat healthy food - trying to limit sugar and processed food. Don't put anything in your mouth unless it is really yummy. Meditation is great. And yoga - I have dabbled with yoga for many years - it has really become part of my life now. You can do this. So many of us have felt 'how can I beat these cravings'. You are no different. It is hard BUT if you can ride the craving and not give in to it - it certainly will get easier in time.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Investigate SMART too - I think it is really important to knock that thought down as soon as it comes into your head - don't let the thought (craving) gain momentum!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Dragon,
I am in your shoes too. I have social anxiety and have used drinking for years to overcome that. It's been a crutch and I am also trying to figure out how to exist without it. It seems impossible since it's been in my life for so long. I am trying to look at it like cutting someone out of my life because they're a bad influence on me.

Someone told me to write down all the bad things that drinking has done in my life and pull it out anytime you get a craving to remind yourself why you're doing what you're doing. Find a safe sober friend to call when you have the craving. And honestly, since you're a musician, pour your struggle into your songs. I don't know if any of this has helped, but I just wanted to let you know that you have people here that understand and are willing to help support your decision to stay sober. You can do it!!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

And also I love your profile picture. Labyrinth is my favorite movie.