Notices

Day 6 and I am still here

Old 07-12-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and I am still here

This is the longest I have gone without drinking in almost 7 years. Today is definitely hard, as I have been hit with some pretty strong urges to drink. I am guessing it's because it's the weekend, and it's been the norm for me to be drunk Friday through Sunday for a long time. I also am feeling pretty grouchy and irritable because I have had really bad insomnia as part of my withdrawal. I am home by myself right now, and that sneaky little voice in my head is saying "No one would know if you had just a couple drinks". Of course that is a giant lie, because I wouldn't stop at just one, and then everyone from my family to my neighbors to my entire facebook community would know I am drunk, because yeah, I am THAT person. The one who drinks and then makes a billion phone calls, has conversations with my neighbors that they don't remember, and posts bizarre and alarming posts on FB. Right now, I am really struggling with the idea of not drinking ever again because alcohol has tricked me into believing that nothing will ever be fun again without it. I know the reality is the exact opposite, and that I am miserable, depressed, and anxious (not to mention unemployed and broke) because of alcohol. But man, that little voice inside my head is persistent (and kind of jerk, too!) Every time I start thinking like this, or feeling I am close to relapsing, I just come here, and it definitely helps.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im exactly the same. I would drink right through the weekend. Not remember any of it. Have movie stubs that i took my daughter to. Not remebering how we got there and back. On day 8. Im tired too. Havent slept hardly all week. Stay with it. I believe in you.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great stuff giochick on Day 6!! Keep it going!!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your sleep will normalize over time, the insomnia is worst the first week or so. Weekends are the toughest, but not drinking actually provides you the freedom to do whatever you want on the weekend rather than having to plan everything around your alcohol consumption (and likely inability to drive anywhere once you start imbibing). Stay strong!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just keep playing the tape about what would happen if you drink. Find something to do and power through the urges. It takes awhile, but it does get better. Remember how good it feels to wake up without feeling full of shame, guilt, remorse, and no memory of why you feel that way. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You could have been writing about me Giochick. I was THAT drunk person as well. I'm pretty new - 35 days without a drink now. The first week was the worst for me (I drank daily so the fact it was a week-end didn't make much of a difference). Though I'm still having thoughts of drinking, they are fewer and farther between. Lots of great information on this site and many supportive people who respond when you reach out as you've done. You can do this!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm THAT person too. You said alcohol is tricking you into thinking nothing will be fun again without it. That's says something. The truth is nothing is fun with it. And you won't remember it even it was fun....day 6 you are rockin' it!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats you almost have a week. That is a huge accomplishment.
MM
Old 07-12-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on your progress to Day 6. Your situation resonates with me. I am also THAT person - the phone calls, bizarre Facebook posts and I am sure my neighbors must hate me! I am at Day 7. Also struggling with insomnia. I would generally drink myself into oblivion every 3 days or so once I felt I had recovered from the previous episode. Feeling stronger with each day although the urges and cravings are still there.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you for making Day 6 - you're doing great giochick.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

6 days is something to be extremely proud of, well done!!