Notices

New to SR

Old 07-11-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to SR

I have been drinking for the last 20 years. I started as an occasional drinker but now become heavy drinker for the last 4 years.
I can't stop drinking until get fully drunk. Everyday promise to myself that I will not drink and will stay sober but evening time always break the promise. I always want myself to be occasional drinker and like to have small quantity at the dinner time or party but it seems alcohol is not for me. Once started then never stops. But now I m no more buying liquor so abstaining from drinking at home. But recently having three parties and again got so drunk and big hangover next morning.
I have joined SR now and like to get rid of this disease. Today I m sober and feeling great and just had dinner. Tomorrow is again a family function which I must have to attend. I am afraid again about my alcohol habit and how can I resist or just can have one or two drinks only.
I hope SR community will help me to become sober.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Charger. I'm really glad you found us.

I was like that too - I never knew what would happen once it got in my system. That's why I had to stop all together. In the end, I had no control and couldn't trust myself. It was hard to stop - but once I got used to life without alcohol - I was so happy to be free. You can do this.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Charger and glad to see you have made some realizations as to how insidious this disease is for us. Stay on here and post WHATEVER you are feeling and the folks on here will help you to break free! Good Luck and Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Charger and welcome. I can relate. 30 years drinking here. I'm new to sobriety and just learning to enjoy life again. Over the years the drinking go worse. The hangovers got worse. I isolated myself. Loved ones didn't want anything to do with me. I hope you don't get to that point. Life's no fun when you are living 90% of it drunk or hung over. Make a plan and take your life back. You deserve it. Best wishes.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Havyn
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome charger.

you seem to already know that 1 or 2 is out of the question for you. The only alternative is 0 - zero. Do your best to stay safe this weekend. Come up with a plan to avoid drinking.
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Charger, as long as you don't take that first drink, you'll be fine. That's the key. Don't take the first drink. Focus on that.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. You guys are really supportive
Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome charger. Reading and posting here is my main support network, hope you can find what you need. We understand how you feel and have been there before. Don't be afraid to share or ask any questions you might have.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charger View Post
I have been drinking for the last 20 years. I started as an occasional drinker but now become heavy drinker for the last 4 years.
I can't stop drinking until get fully drunk. Everyday promise to myself that I will not drink and will stay sober but evening time always break the promise. I always want myself to be occasional drinker and like to have small quantity at the dinner time or party but it seems alcohol is not for me. Once started then never stops. But now I m no more buying liquor so abstaining from drinking at home. But recently having three parties and again got so drunk and big hangover next morning.
I have joined SR now and like to get rid of this disease. Today I m sober and feeling great and just had dinner. Tomorrow is again a family function which I must have to attend. I am afraid again about my alcohol habit and how can I resist or just can have one or two drinks only.
I hope SR community will help me to become sober.
You probably need to let go of the idea that you can ever have 1 or 2 drinks. I know when I did, it made sobriety easier to attain. Trying to moderate and fighting that battle is generally a losing proposition for people like us.

What will 1 or 2 drinks do for you anyway? You described yourself as a "heavy drinker," which means you like to get drunk. 1 or 2 drunks won't do that anyway, so you won't even "enjoy" it. Just let go of that thought and you can stay sober. Welcome aboard.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are right soberhoops fan. I just wanted to be moderate or occasional drinker in parties and among friends get together but I always end up getting drunk. So I think I should let this idea go. I always think alcohol is under my control and whenever I like I can quit but it seems I was under alcohol control. Let me try to be sober and see if I can win this battle
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi charger,welcome to SR.

I wanted to be a social drinker, just one or two, but it wasn't to be, it was all or nothing and eventually I chose nothing.

Life's a lot clearer, sober.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Charger

D
Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!