Notices

day 1

Old 07-12-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy day 1

I could not sleep at all last night.... i kept tossing an turning, an sweating like crazy. I thought i would sleeping great being i wasn't up drinking. Im so tired right now an cannot get to sleep.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Most of us went through that, I think. It gets better.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Try to nap a little today, if you can. Nights are restless in early sobriety. Another tact is to use your new sober energy to work yourself tired getting stuff done that youve neglected. Then, you might just plop at the end of the day!
Old 07-12-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cold turkey is a MF toni. Water, vitamins, food, people and possibly a dr. are what can help right now ( and I know you probably want none of it). There IS relief in a day or two and that I'm sure seems like too long. Hang in there and don't hesitate to pm or post anything on your mind.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks u guys, i stayed busy today to fight any cravings. How long is the detoxs process?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi toni, and welcome! I am on day 6, and I can tell you that what you are going through is pretty normal from what I have seen. I am still going through the withdrawal/detox phase myself. In my experience, it gets noticeably better with each day. I agree with what others have said. Take care of yourself, eat good foods, and if you can't sleep, use that energy to do a project. I myself cleaned out my garage last night. It didn't help me sleep, but at least it was better than lying in bed feeling twitchy and restless. Plus I figure a clean garage goes hand in hand with the new clean life I am trying to live. Just a thought. Hang in there, and remember that there is tons of support waiting for you on SR if you are having a hard time or just need to vent to people that understand what you are going through.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Toni, can't answer that. Withdrawals are as different as the people experiencing them. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through tonib!! Things will get better with time!!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

The first week is the roughest. Things settle down.

The addiction will not want to let go of you

Its unpleasant but getting to sober living is worth it
Old 07-12-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks u guys, i stayed busy today to fight any cravings. How long is the demos process?
Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Detox depends on the person. And how much and how long you were drinking. I felt really good and myself by day 5-7. The first few days were the worst for me.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there and good luck. I am on day 2 didn't sleep at all last night it is normal and will get better
Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Tonib, day 1 is FANTASTIC, just don't drink, things get better ,rootin for ya.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

yep, insomnia is hard at first but soon you'll be sleeping through the night if you just don't drink! I thought I would never be able to stand it, but if I got through the insomnia, so can you :-) It's totally normal.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also was sweating and tossing and turning. Then I was freezing from the sweat turning cold, it was awful. I've also had waves of anxiety today, on and off but I am juicing veggies and having the fresh veggie juice and I think that helps. Or some OJ or apple juice. Herbal tea, water. I only had one Greek yogurt besides the juice..oh and about one cup of dill pickle juice which I haven't done in years but I felt like it. Going to sleep now, don't know what will happen, it would be nice to sleep soundly through the night, but we'll see. Anyhow, better than waking up with a hangover.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I think insomnia is one of the biggest frustrations of early sobriety. It does pass though!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It settles down, the sweating is horrible! Try hot baths before you go to bed and read ,drink tea, till you fall to sleep, the little sleep you do get is still often better than the unconscious sleep alcohol gives you.
The first three days were my worst.
John
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Ton... Well done on day 1!!! The first few days are the worst but keep yourself busy that will help to keep your mind off the WD.. Obviously if they become too much contact a Doc.. What I found was helpful with the insomnia was a hot bath with Epsom Salts & Lavender Oil... The salts help to draw out the toxins & refresh your Magnesium which will be very low due to the drinking... Will make you sweat like mad after but that's a good thing plus it makes your skin nice & soft!! LOL
Old 07-14-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I sometimes used night-time Theraflu or a couple of Benedryl to relax and/or sleep through detox. It's safe and does the trick !
Old 07-14-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Toni, well done on making the decision to be sober! For me, the night sweats and insomnia lasted about 4 or 5 nights (but everyone is different). It will get better and is so worth it! Welcome to SR!