Notices

Need advice now, please

Old 07-11-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice now, please

Hi im Mike I am new here, I have been abusing alcohol and vicodines for over 5 years now and yesterday I decided to stop for the future of my family and myself, I have blown allot of money on this stuff. But my question is how is the withdrawls because the first day was bad not as bad as I thought and now the second day is not bad at all, is it going to get worse for me or am I just a lucky one. I drank 12 to 14 beers a day everyday and took 4 to 6 vicodin a day with the beer. I am taking vitamines and drinking allot of water too. Thanks if someone can fill me in on this withdrawl stuff..
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by bears View Post
Hi im Mike I am new here, I have been abusing alcohol and vicodines for over 5 years now and yesterday I decided to stop for the future of my family and myself, I have blown allot of money on this stuff. But my question is how is the withdrawls because the first day was bad not as bad as I thought and now the second day is not bad at all, is it going to get worse for me or am I just a lucky one. I drank 12 to 14 beers a day everyday and took 4 to 6 vicodin a day with the beer. I am taking vitamines and drinking allot of water too. Thanks if someone can fill me in on this withdrawl stuff..
Hi and welcome, Mike. I'm no doctor but I would say if at 2 days you aren't experiencing any serious withdrawal symptoms and feeling pretty "normal," you should expect this particular withdrawal to be fairly uneventful. I drank for 26 years and didn't experience what I came to recognize as AWS (alcohol withdrawal syndrome) for the first time until 8 years ago. Up until then, I had the occasional hangover that lasted about half a day, but none of the more disturbing symptoms like very high blood pressure and heart rate, intense anxiety and panic, clamminess, sweating, loss of appetite, insomnia, etc. If I were you, I'd consider myself fortunate and quit while you're ahead. You don't want to become so physically dependent you find you have to get outside help in order to quit.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your choice I personally don't know much about withdrawals so i can't offer much knowledge there, but wanted you to know that SR is a wonderful supportive place. Welcome.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Mike, Welcome to the Forum!!

The problem with withdrawals is there are too many variables other than time and quantity of a substance, you have to factor in height, weight, age, genetics, blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol etc etc

There's no way to compare one person's experience to another, a Dr and medical tests is the only way to get to the facts!!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Mike and congratulations on your decision. Acute withdrawals ( the initial period where your body is physically getting used to not having your DOC ) can last anywhere from a couple of days to a week or even more. How much you drank and how often you drank it is not always a good indication either. If you haven't seen a doctor, make sure someone around you is aware of what you are doing in case you should need some kind of emergency/urgent care.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

The best thing is to see your doctor about withdrawal. Nothing to play with.

Be kind to yourself
Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know how it will effect you. I say keep on. Youre doing great
Old 07-11-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi bears - welcome.

Let us know how you're doing.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mike

Like others have said non of us are Drs, and withdrawal varies from person to person.
I hope you caught a lucky break

D