Notices

This took years for me to finally do this.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This took years for me to finally do this.

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on this site and it took me a lot to finally "man up" and realize and accept the fact I need help.

I'll save the entire story of how I finally realized I need help, but IMO the main thing that matters is the fact I've finally accepted the fact I need to make major changes in my life. I need to get and stay sober for a multitude of reasons. I think the last straw included me downing 20 or 21 beers in four or five hours yesterday, threatening my Cousin with bodily harm and causing more damage to my house. (At this point I've probably caused about ten grand worth of damage to my property.) - I'm one of the angry alcoholics. Seeing my Father break down because of my actions and inability to control my alcoholism has hurt me more than anything I've ever done in my life.

I'm 27 years old and I drink a minimum of eight beers a night (on average it's a 12 pack daily [This has been the case for at least seven years]). Twelve months ago I was making six figures working for the federal government. At this moment I'm taking a break from packing my home as I lost my job in February and am therefore have to sell my house before I'm faced with foreclosure.

I got a DUI right after my 20th birthday and stopped for several months after being ordered to sixteen weeks of outpatient treatment. Since then my alcoholism has gotten exponentially worse and the fact I hide it and lie to everyone about it definitely doesn't help.

I hope to meet others who have dealt with similar situations and I will take any and all advice available. As soon as I sell my house I'm going to use the profits to immediately check myself into an inpatient substance abuse center to address this terrible vice once and for all.

I welcome any and all comments or advice anyone can provide. I've lost everything I had that once made me happy (Job, House, Friends, Relationships among others) and I have made a conscious decision to get and stay sober. I've tried on my own and can't do it. Not by myself.

I'll open a separate post soon with request for inpatient treatment centers but I wanted to introduce myself first.

Thanks for hearing me out. I hope I can contribute to help others in the future. Have a great night everyone.

Best,

D
Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome No1dan. Glad to hear you are making the choice to get sober. SR is a gold mine for support and info on recovery.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow you have lost a lot. I want to say welcome.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome No1dan2001, SR is an excellent resource. You'll find tons of support and understanding here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, No1dan2001! Things may be bad now but I think your plan is great. You're very wise, wise beyond your years, for seeing the truth and doing something about it. By the time I was your age I knew on some level that I had a problem but I didn't have the guts to do anything about until two years ago.

I think you're doing the right thing! You're young, what has been lost can be rebuilt once you get sober. It's great to have you with us, No1dan2001.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

meetings aren't for everyone.
I've noticed your posting in numerous threads about "useless pyschology books" and mumbo jumbo treatment centres. Sorry they didn't work out for you, but seriously?
Your choice of words is rather condescending and frankly, quite rude. Not EVERYONE is just like you. Glad you found AA and it's working for you. That doesn't mean it's the only way for everyone.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dan!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Recovery may be a ticket back to your lost job. The Feds are forgiving if you focus on your illness/alcoholism as the reason for your unacceptable job performance.

Losing your job is reason enough to stop drinking.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome No1Dan! Realizing you have a problem and that you need help is a really important step, so I commend you for "manning up". My only advice is that if you find yourself struggling, just be patient with yourself and try different methods or programs if you have to. Wish you the best!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR supports a variety of Recovery methods. A Reminder of our Mandate:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Old 07-11-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No1dan, thank you for your post. I think it's a really good sign that you have made a conscious decision to get sober, that you have accepted you can't do it on your own, and that you have a plan.

Best wishes for your recovery!