Notices

Let's try this again

Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Let's try this again

I really *must* stop drinking for awhile, and Im gonna lean on you nice people for the first couple of days. Once I get through one day, I'm usually OK for awhile. My weakness is giving in to a drink to medicate the withdrawal. I have a lot of events approaching that are important to me, so it's time!

Anyway, I've got a plan here. I live in an apartment complex that has everything -- a gym, pool, jacuzzi, computers, etc. As long as I stay within the place, I won't be running into any alcohol -- there's none in my apartment. I also ordered several days' worth of a green juice cleanse (juice, protein drinks, detox soup) that gives you an exact schedule for when to consume each thing. When I've done that before, I feel better quickly. I don't like sweets, so that common withdrawal technique wouldn't appeal. I'm a musician and writer -- I have a big concert across the country in 10 days and I'm out of shape. And I have a book proposal due that I haven't started. Good work, girl! Sigh.

I'm staying home and being kind to myself. I'm definitely going to want to check in throughout the day tho! I don't have to go anywhere for two days -- and that's a class where there won't be an alcohol issue. I had developed a terrible habit of stopping for a Diet Coke and two mini-bottles of vodka, which is drinking WHILE drive, which I obviously must stop on every level. I think a two-day DIY home rehab will help me start better habits. So far no serious symptoms, just feeling foggy, stupid, and flabby. And I have a lovely crop of acne.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Someone's here 24/7/365. Welcome!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this Razorback!!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So far so good! I'm lucky to not have to be anywhere but home...
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back. Sorry to see your struggles continue. Maybe this points to a reason:

Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
I really *must* stop drinking for awhile,
Stop for "awhile"? And then what? Resume drinking? If you leave the door open for drinking, guess what walks in? Perhaps you should be thinking about quitting for good. Then doing whatever it takes to support that decision.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're making a great start by realizing you may have a problem.
I used to buy shooters and drink them on the way home, too. And this was at 8am.
It was a miserable life.
Just remember, you never have to go through this again if you don't take that first drink.
Best to you.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doggonecarl, you are right, sometimes it takes a few tries -- and I was trying to add a little levity there. But you are correct and I know it. And Ghostlight1, I've progressed to that point as well. I was just listening to a podcast where the speaker -- Irish guy named Paul Garrigan -- points out how much simpler sobering up is if you take the possibility of drinking again off the table. Despite my being a truly loose cannon, life is still going well. Maybe now I can find out how much better it can go -- like, I haven't had a romantic partner in YEARS.

Still inside, listening to podcasts, meditations, with a mud pack on my face. Can't go out like this! It's amazing what a waste of time drinking is, and how much I've gotten done this morning. I recently got a shrink who specializes in drinking problems. I was doing well -- I've been honest with her. But she is out of town, so here I am.

There's a nature trail nearby that doesn't pass any shops. That would be a good activity on this sunny day.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck!!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Still good. Still in my bathrobe, but sober!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As soon as I heard "I have a plan" I knew you would do great.

We will be here, and enjoy the facilities at your place for me! Specially the pool!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OK, practicing (it's a woodwind instrument) was really unpleasant. Cancel that! Strapping on my Fitbit pedometer and going for an easy walk -- on the waterside trail that passes no stores. And I'm not taking any money with me, either! This is incredibly helpful to check in here....thanks, guys.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

30-minute walk. Home. I did it! Now I'm in for the night. Early to bed and a happier morning tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bravo! You may not read this until tomorrow, but your running commentary was so inspirational. You have a plan and you've stuck with it. This is a hard journey to make, but I believe in the long run so very much easier than the other option. Be well. I look forward to your morning post.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks! It's 7 pm, and I'm going to try and go to bed now. Have not slept well in many moons. Maybe tonight. Didn't get very much done today, but I sure look forward to clearer thinking in the morning.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How is it going so far this morning, Razor?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yesss! I was up between 2-5 am, but then had decent quality sleep 5-9 am (might as well sleep when it comes). I feel a lot smarter this morning. Drinking my juice cleanse green juice and protein drink now. I'm over the bad part now -- my drinking came in two ways: to medicate a hangover (and that could repeat daily for a long stretch), and hanging out at happy hours. I quit the happy hours months ago, I'm pleased to say. Otherwise I don't get the cravings some people do, so I'm not prone to want to buy any alcohol.

Got a lot of things to do today, and I guess that's the key. Going towards things you want more than thinking about NOT doing something. Much to my delight, my weight -- which is 20 lbs too much -- was down this morning.

I don't foresee any problems today. Tomorrow might have a challenge, but here's the plan. I'm going to an all-day symposium of panel discussions and networking. Fortunately, it's at a theater, not a hotel, and lunch is outdoor food trucks (I'm going to have my juice cleanse items in the car). But I'm betting there will be a networking reception at the end. I'm going to take an Antabuse mid-day so I will not wander over to the wine guy. I think I will start carrying the Antabuse around in my purse for when a tempting situation pops up, but I don't want to take it every day.

Thanks for getting me through the horrible Day 1, everyone.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your progress Razorback

D
Old 07-11-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Looks like you're off to a great start
Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 2 good. Did some errands, went to the gym, practiced an hour, walked 8,000 of the 10,000 steps my FitBit wants. I passed a LOT of liquor stores and didn't want to go in, but when I wanted a soft drink I knew habit would take over -- so I went in a booze-free gas station shop. Success!

My shrink has stressed that I don't have to do anything 100% at times like these -- just do *something!* That's really helping. There's a lot more time in the day when you're not busy drinking all the time...

Home now. On to Day 3.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is wonderful news! Keep up the great work!