SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Worried about withdrawals, Started a new job on Monday!! HELP (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/338308-worried-about-withdrawals-started-new-job-monday-help.html)

Trouble1234 07-08-2014 06:37 PM

Worried about withdrawals, Started a new job on Monday!! HELP

Hello , Newbie here! I can say when I was younger I drank everyday partying with my friends. As I have gotten older and grew up some... ( ha) I slowed down. Maybe a beer or 2 / glass of wine at night...Weekends I would drink. Every now and then too much.

I NEVER had panic/ anxiety attacks unless I was extremely hungover...happened to me about a month ago...So I decided to stop drinking.

I have had half a beer one day another a day later and Friday half glass of wine, because I started to get anxiety attacks , DUHHHHHH - The alcohol!!
Did I taper off?

So of course like everyone else here I have googled withdrawals and it scared the Sh*t out of me , Don't go cold turkey, You can die, Seizures.

So it has been 4 days and I have some anxiety ( but not like before) , Slight headache, Constipation , Not really hungry, Semi tired but then can't sleep until 2am and small waves of depression. But it goes away - Comes and goes.

My problem is that I started a new job 7/7 ( monday ) and I will have to travel and go to meetings and actually go in the office next week. My question is will it get worse? Or Am I lucky to not be suffering like people say you will online?

I cut out fast food, junk food. Plenty of juices, Fruits, Veggies, Water, Vitamins, Walking on the treadmill ( actually sweating ) I take herbal stuff to calm my anxiety nervousness, cut out gluten ( wheat, beer , etc )

I would say I feel 65% good, Do you think by next monday I will feel 85% good? I will take that !!!!!!!!!! I have 5 days

I have read some people have better withdrawals than others , is that true?

:a108::a108::a108::a108::a108:

Dee74 07-08-2014 06:46 PM

Hi and welcome Trouble :)

Yeah withdrawal experiences differ widely.

None of us are Drs - if you're really worried about this there's no better option than seeing your Dr :)

Speaking for myself though I generally was better by the second week, although you may find the anxiety lingers, and your emotions may be a little unstable, along with irritating things like sweats

D

Serper2014 07-08-2014 06:56 PM

If you read medical literature documenting seizures and withdrawals. It's extremely rare for seizures to begin after 48 hours and DT's begin within the first 3 days in almost all cases. This usually occurs after years of very very heavy drinking in most cases over 10 units per day.

However, everyone is different, so my advice is to see your doctor and let him tell you this to relieve some of the anxiety that you brought upon yourself by Googling.

soberlife123 07-08-2014 07:19 PM

Yeah I was worried about driving in the first 48 hours, but it would be extremely rare to have one after and that and also you'd probably have increasingly bad symptoms leading up to one.

Go see your doctor if you're worried :)

aborkie 07-08-2014 07:29 PM

I've been drinking over twenty years and I don't suffer from withdrawal symptoms when I attempt to quit. For me it's all mental.

Trouble1234 07-08-2014 08:22 PM

Thank you guys soooooooooo much !! I just did 2.2 on the treadmill and sweat like you have no idea, I am drinking coconut water to replenish myself and I feel better. It is like treating somebody bad ( my body ) for years and now trying to kiss butt ! hahaha

About the Doctor- I do not have one and I just started this Monday so tomorrow is my 3rd day and I am training from home. I wonder if they have after hours/ or I could go to one on my lunch break or Saturday....What if I called and talked to a nurse??

trachemys 07-09-2014 04:13 AM

Drink some gatorade or powerade. Diet if you don't want the sugar. You need to balance them electrolytes.

Trouble1234 07-09-2014 07:18 AM

Trachemys - Thanks! I am actually drinking Coconut water as I read it is better than Gatorade , But I will get some gatorade too !

Feeling 70% today , Only 4-5 hours of sleep though and no poop hahahahaha

PurpleKnight 07-09-2014 08:06 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

If your a week and a half in by next Monday and things haven't escalated then you'll probably be on your way to getting through the withdrawals, mine lasted a few weeks overall, btw if you can manage the treadmill and sleeping a few hours at night, then things are looking up!! :)

Though as already mentioned, anything concerning crops up check in with a Dr!!

Trouble1234 07-09-2014 08:48 AM

PurpleKnight - Thank you very much! I appreciate it = I felt awesome after the work out and will continue. I am glad I found this site and you people :):) HUGS

huntingtontx 07-09-2014 08:56 AM

I drank heavy for about 20 years the last 10 really heavy. I did not suffer any withdrawls until after three days and then I had dizzy spells. Everyone is different. Sounds like you are doing well. Keep up the good work.