Notices

How to make the DR. apt?

Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to make the DR. apt?

I've been putting off calling the dr. for fear. What do you tell the receptionist? Is it any of her business why you want to see the dr? How do you tell the dr. about your intake of beer. the fear of just knowing I'm going to find out something is wrong with my liver scares me. Maybe I don't want to know. Than I ask myself maybe I can just heal my liver on my own so I don't have to hear how damaged my body is. How did you all make your first call to the dr?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

When I made mine, I said I wanted to talk about some anxiety I was having. I was really scared about fessing up to the doctor so I really didn't want to tell the receptionist either. That being said, I have been a receptionist and honestly, I never cared why people made appointments. It's to help the doctor to prepare for your visit.

You should make the appointment. You'll feel better to talk to your doctor about what you've been going through.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"It's personal" for the receptionist.

I just laid it out truthfully to the doctor. Tried to quit multiple times, couldn't get past two or three weeks without anxiety and depression running me back to the bottle. He said we'd start with the quitting. Liver damage stops when you stop drinking and the liver can heal. We would deal with it when I got clean, employed and insured.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just ask to see your doctor because you need to talk to him.

If they insist just say you have some pain "insert body part here"

Hope you go, but he will tell you will need to stop to drink to allow him to help. Maybe hearing this from a doctor is the scary part
Old 07-08-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm Australian, but I've never had to tell anyone what my appointment is for.
That's for me and the Dr

D
Old 07-08-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Dee, if it's something routine...flu, poison ivy...I don't mind telling the receptionist as it speeds me through the process.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have said 'it's personal' when asked by a receptionist simply because I have no interest in telling the receptionist about my health issues.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just call and say you need a checkup. Then see the doctor and just tell the whole story. Be honest, they have heard stories like ours many times over, none of it will be a surprise. Most likely you will be commended for your decision to quit and have some tests run.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Just call and say you need a checkup. Then see the doctor and just tell the whole story. Be honest, they have heard stories like ours many times over, none of it will be a surprise. Most likely you will be commended for your decision to quit and have some tests run.
That's it. I had a whole list of things for the doc after I got out of rehab. All they knew was that I needed a check up.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Overdue for a check up sounds good to me!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"It's personal" is just fine. Chances are he/she will want you to have a full physical, so you could cut to the chase and just schedule one if you haven't had one in a while. I agree with Scott, they have heard and seen this many times before, so it serves you best to be completely honest.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ITSGOTIME View Post
I've been putting off calling the dr. for fear. What do you tell the receptionist? Is it any of her business why you want to see the dr? How do you tell the dr. about your intake of beer. the fear of just knowing I'm going to find out something is wrong with my liver scares me. Maybe I don't want to know. Than I ask myself maybe I can just heal my liver on my own so I don't have to hear how damaged my body is. How did you all make your first call to the dr?
I went through this about a month ago when I got sober. I was on Day 3 and had to come clean to the doctor about all my drinking and get everything (especially my liver) thoroughly tested. It was scary at first but I'm glad I did it. And I was dead honest about my insane drinking habits, as you should be. I think in order to live sober going forward, you need to do this for your sanity. The human body is pretty resilient too, you may be surprised at the results when they come in if you are expecting the worst... I know I was
Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think it matters all that much what you say. Just remember, no one ever died of embarrassment! But plenty of people die from drinking. Just take a deep breath and do what you have to do.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I said its personal also
Old 07-09-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok. I'll book for a physical. I don't' mind telling the dr. It's i feel like I'm being judged sitting in the waiting room. The reception saying. Oh there's the drunk. Last year my dr told me my liver test showed high levels of whatever that test is. And she said I know your drinking I can see by the test and you have broken blood vessels on your face. We can check you in to a woman's clinic. I denied and said I only drink on weekends. Than I was told to eat more dark green vegis. Now I have to go back and say you were right. I do drink too much. Let's start the blood tests again! Jeesh why didn't I listen to her when she told me she knew. Just by my elevated levels.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ok. I'll book for a physical. I don't' mind telling the dr. It's i feel like I'm being judged sitting in the waiting room. The reception saying. Oh there's the drunk. Last year my dr told me my liver test showed high levels of whatever that test is. And she said I know your drinking I can see by the test and you have broken blood vessels on your face. We can check you in to a woman's clinic. I denied and said I only drink on weekends. Than I was told to eat more dark green vegis. Now I have to go back and say you were right. I do drink too much. Let's start the blood tests again! Jeesh why didn't I listen to her when she told me she knew. Just by my elevated levels.
Think of it this way: when you tell her she was right last year, you will make her feel really smart!

You can do it.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I totally agree with Dee - what you discuss is between you and the Dr.

Perhaps you can mention that you may need a longer appointment time slot? But is it certainly not the receptionist's business - that's how it work in Australia anyway.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

They shouldn't ask you as it's confidential, that's why they make doctors take an oath.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

After I returned home from my 28 stay
in rehab, I made an appointment with
my physician for a full physical so that
they could check me from head to toe.

It was time to get my body heathy just
as it was and is for my mind and soul too.

Being comfortable, open and honest
with my physician is also very important
so that if anything is administered to me
in medicine then they know not to give
me something that is narcotic or habit
forming as to interfere with my addiction
recovery.

Each time I had to make a trip to the doctor
which im very grateful it is far and inbetween,
that I remind them no medicine that is narcotic
or habit forming.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Don't think I've ever been asked what a Dr appt was for, I just phone up and say I need to see a Dr and they say when the next available time is, everyone it seems gets the same time allocation anyways so it must not be an important question!!