Notices

day 3

Old 07-08-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 3

Hello! I joined a little while ago and have been reading posts when I need inspiration. I'm not the most talkative person (kind of shy) so being on the internet helps. I started off trying to get motivated to quit smoking weed. I have been smoking since I was 18 and was horrified when I realized I've smoked for about 17 years now. I started by trying to fit in with my now ex husband and his friends. I was young and dumb. I continued simply because smoking is what I'm used to doing now. I take the phrase "creature of habit" to the extreme in almost every part of my life.

So, I have smoked so heavily everyday that it doesn't even make me high anymore. It makes me depressed, lazy and anti-social. The depression part is what made me decide to quit for good. I did quit for 2 years around 2007 and I felt great. It was like seeing the world through new eyes. I started again when life got rocky and I don't want to do that again. I want this chapter of my life to be closed forever.

Now onto my second drug of choice, alcohol. Yes, this creature of habit cannot have just one vice. I'm a binge drinker who thought I had all this alcohol business under control because I haven't had a blackout episode in over a year. I've been drinking the whole time though everyday it's just that I stuck to the same kind of liquor and kind of got immune to it where I would be drunk but not real drunk. Well, Saturday I tried vodka which I haven't had in a long time and I became out of control, mean and cried all night. I woke up with that horrible feeling of panic, anxiety and sorrow over what I'd said and done. I'm 35 years old time is running out and I'm way overdue to get my life together. My need to continue old habits has to end if they are not in my best interest. I'm lucky because when I quit both drugs I have low withdrawal symptoms. I have some anxiety and sleeplessness for about a week and I'm done. The problem is when bad things happen I retreat back to my habits. I need new coping techniques which brings me back to you lovely people.

Day 3 no alcohol

Day 2 no weed

Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum sunseye!!

Yeah dealing with life Sober can be a challenge, but it can be done, the quick fix of alcohol is just too easy, the rest of the world don't subscribe to it and so we don't have to either, there are other ways!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You haven't dealt with life straight for 17 years. You need to learn how to live straight and sober. Think of it as a college course. Study, listen to people who deal with life straight, converse with other people learning the same thing, apply what you learn.

That's the approach I'm taking. I haven't been straight or sober since I was 16. I'm 55 now.