Notices

Accidently relapsed last night..

Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accidently relapsed last night..

So last night a waitstaff in my restaurant comes back to the kitchen and gives us all milkshakes. I'm like all right yeah, a milkshake, sounds good! So I drink it and it tastes like any other damn milkshake, and the guy comes back like "How was it??" all overly optimistic about his milk shake. He then proceeds to explain that they all had loads of whiskey and baileys in them and he made them so we couldn't taste the alcohol. which we couldn't at all.

I told this guy, just the night before outside smoking a cigarette with him, that I was done drinking for GOOD and I intend to go sober. Maybe I didn't stress that part enough.

Anyways, back to ground zero again.. SO thankful I did not say **** it this time and go on a binder to make my last drunk date "count", like all those millions of other miserable times I had my "last beer", or my last whatever.

thanks for listening..
Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't beat myself up sectownkid - if you geniunely had no idea and you didn't let it undermine your recovery, I'm of the opinion you're good to continue where you were.

Just maybe be a little more cautious in future about accepting drinks?

D
Old 07-08-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. This was not a relapse. You did not consciously decide to drink. Let it go and move on.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree. If you didn't know and didn't continue the night drinking I wouldn't consider it a fall. I would be sooo mad at this guy though. I would probably give him a drink with a booger in it
Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I agree with Dee - I think you're good to carry on with the same recovery date

Did you get any hangover?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not your fault. I wouldn't beat myself up over it.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You are not back to ground zero. This is an accident and it is not like you did it with the intention of drinking alcohol. Relapses are planned and deliberate. This was not and is not a relapse.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd say no relapse. You didn't know and you didn't keep drinking afterwards. But I wouldn't accept any drinks from this clown in the future. If he is someone you can talk to I would also tell him that wasn't cool. He has no idea whether anyone is taking medication that doesn't mix with alcohol. There are antibiotics that act like Antabuse.

Back to your original post. I say no on resetting your sober date.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered

Not a relapse.

A good learning experience, though. I am always super-careful about beverages that other people prepare for me. I confirm with the maker of said drink that it contains NO alcohol/drugs as they will make me very ill.

If this person purposefully undermined what you are trying to do, stay clear of him. When I got sober, I had to cut out the people who were like that.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good job not rolling off into a binge because of it.

also; that person is an idiot and an inconsiderate a-hole.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, excellent for not going over the edge, indeed!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You did awesome. Be proud of yourself.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree-accidental ingestion is not a relapse. your sober date is the same. Put it down to experience and forget about it
Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nnnaahhhhhh Not a relapse... I nearly got caught out on Saturday by picking up the wrong drink.. Thankfully it had fruit in it being a Pimms but if it hadn't I could have quite easily taken a sip without realizing.. and if I had I wouldn't have classed it as a relapse. These things happen just shows we have to be vigilant & not take our sobriety for granted.. Well done though for not continuing..
Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nmd

People who push drinks tend to make me angry, but serving someone alcohol without telling them, especially when they know you want to be sober crosses a line. It says a lot about that persons integrity and I wouldn't trust them in any situation.

Good job on handling it though, I agree that it doesn't "count".
Old 07-08-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If a person knowingly and secretively tricked a person with a peanut allergy into consuming peanuts..... that would be a crime, wouldn't it?

Seems to me that a person knowingly and secretly tricking a person into consuming alcohol who has professed a need NOT to consume alcohol would also be liable for a crime. Or at least should be. Some people are truly idiots.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not a relapse since you didn't know and had no intention of drinking.

Also, great job on not continuing to drink afterward!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I agree with the others: it is not a relapse. Just learn from it and be very cautious in the future when people offer you drinks.
As far as this person is concerned, he is not a friend (actually he is a douche!) and I hope you will drop him...and this might me lesson number two from your little mishap: Now that you are on the road to recovery, you will start realizing that some people are really toxic and don't have your best interest at heart and you are better off not having them in your life.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's really dangerous behaviour for the waitstaff. Clearly he/she has no idea how dangerous alcohol can be to an alcoholic.

I'm glad you're okay and continuing to move forward with your recovery.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What a jerk that guy is for messing with you like this. Steer clear of him and be proud of yourself for not going on a bender. I agree with others...this is not a relapse....