Notices

AA Meeting - left early but still liked it

Old 07-07-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Meeting - left early but still liked it

I claimed my Independence from alcohol on July 4th after spending the 2nd and 3rd a black-out, desperate, drunk mess! Tonight, went to my first local meeting. All women, which is good for me, not ready for a full-on group. This was packed and had alot of great energy and smiles and it seemed many in there lived hard lives but most really looked refreshed, that was encouraging! I then got to see a mother (alcoholic) give her daughter (addict/alcoholic) her 1 year medallion! It was really cool to hear how far she has come. She said that the night before, she had a dream that she didn't get a medallion but literally a "piece of a miracle". Very cool indeed. So, my issue was that we read something from the traditions on accepting $ (Trad. 7), which was interesting, but sorry, kinda off-putting, but mostly, when the meeting split into 2 groups, it turned into a gab-session and I thought, now I can leave and I took off early. When I got to my car, I was wondering why I wanted to get the heck out of there, like I short-changed even more good that could have come from it. But something about being new in a place where, yes, everyone was friendly, but into their group and I didn't feel that I mattered. I know its likely an excuse and certainly not personal, but that's what happened and I wanted to share some of the good, but also what I struggled with. I need to meet sober people as I'm over 40, everyone either parties (gave them up), or are with family and I see them once a month. The boredom scares me to death. Thanks for reading. Good to be here!!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's really scary to try something new.
Good for you for going, and for staying as long as you did.

Do you think you'll go again DreaJean?

D
Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ya the whole showing up late and leaving early, dont want to be apart of. I did that, got drunk too. But welcome, just keep coming back, it works if you work it. Wish you the best.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i am glad you gave aa a try but maybe that type of meeting wasnt for you ? there are many other types of meetings around that you might wish to try
the sharing meetings are the best around i have found were 1 person starts the sharing for about 20 mins or so and then the meeting is open to all to share
its amazing to hear all the storys and the identification i got from them kept me coming back for more and more

so i hope you will give it try and good luck to you
Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

The important thing is that you went. That is huge. Keep going back and you can always try different meetings too. Every group is different.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA trots out lots of cliches. When I first started going some of them annoyed the hell out of me. As an established member now I realize a lot of them make a lot of sense. One of them is 'keep coming back'.

If you found something you liked focus on that. Listen and enjoy the enjoyable bits and you might well find that the experience you get there grows on you. It takes a bit of time!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great first step!!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tradition 7 is we pay our own way - we are not allowed to accept endowments, gifts, financial sponsorships or inheritances to drive our funding. We can't even accept free rent although many churches are willing to do this for us. Hence we pass the basket to pay our bills. Some cannot afford to give much or at all. The guy next to me last night gave $10. I hope that explains tradition 7 and isn't too off-putting.

On the meeting, I suggest you find a big book study meeting. I am interested in why you described your meeting as a "gab fest". Can you elaborate?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Give if you wish, if you can't or don't want to there's no issue or judgement. If you get a bad vibe from one meeting, go to another one, meetings have different dynamics and personalities! Keep going!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I suggest you go to different meetings and learn to listen which is hard at times. If your area has beginners meetings, they are comfortable for newcomers and informative. A sponsor can guide you through the new lingo and help you understand the new way of life. It’s pointed out that a sponsor can be a temporary one until we get our feet on the ground. The most important thing I heard at my early meetings was ”KEEP COMING.”

BE WELL