Notices

For those who struggle part 2

Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For those who struggle part 2

I understand that there are opinions and the are subjective. I'm not sure about you but,I am a addict. Have been since I was 13 or 14, or maybe just realized it. To say I don't think about meth or alcohol or really anything that will alter my state of mind on a daily basis would be a lie. I do struggle with addiction every day. That's why the war is so real. I don't think it's a bleak outlook, it just my reality. I want to be as real as I can about it. I think once an addict always an addict, and coming from a long line of addictions, just makes that more relevant. I like the saying, you can take the man out of the trailer park , but you can take the trailer park out of the man. It's the same for addiction. ( in my opinion ) instant gratification. I was in rehab at 23 for meth, 18 month inpatient program. I have a lot of life experience for a being a 32 year old man, like most addicts I know and the the people of SR. I'm not really sure what compelled me to write this, maybe to defend my position, or maybe just to give a little more insight on the position I hold in life. In any case, thank you
Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for shairing Geno. I view addiction as a daily battle I will fight for the rest of my life too, but fortunately places like SR help make the battle much easier to win.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think, from a slightly longer term perspective, that struggle does end Geno

I'm not cured - but I am immunized, if you like, so long as I continue to remember I'm not cured

But the struggle is over....I'd no sooner drink now than surf on the top of a moving bus, or race across the highway in front of a big speeding semi-trailer.

It's something I *could* do, if I really wanted - but I see it as an insane risk to take, now.

D
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sending you a smile to ease your pain! Good luck, your worth it!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand dee, the urges are not as strong now. In the past I know how easy it was to relapse. Thank you for the insight.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me addiciton is always there and probably always will be, I guess we just get better at coping with life without it, and it becomes easier to manage, habits are difficult to break, so if we create new habits alcohol is pushed to the margins of life through time!!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps, to be a bit more upbeat, the process is about a daily reprieve which takes just a little less effort the longer it establishes itself.