Notices

Heavy... But there's a lot to consider here...

Old 07-07-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heavy... But there's a lot to consider here...

http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/...cebook/373904/
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know. at least she got to live in Costa Rica instead of Deroit. It shows how facebook is facebook
Old 07-07-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Having lost several cyber friends now I know exactly what this article is about.
Thanks Free Owl.

D
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Part of what really struck me was how the author describes the 'difference' between her own behaviors and her peers' behaviors from that of her friend.

While her friend was clearly taken down by addiction, her observations narrate how they ALL flirted with addiction and perhaps were themselves firmly planted on the addiction spectrum.

She seems to describe having 'grown out' of those behaviors and chalks them up to youth and good times. Knowing what I now know from my own personal experience, I have to wonder if she herself isn't in the midst of a journey of 'functional addiction' that so many of us know all to well.

The further I get from my last drink, the more I look around and recognize people using alcohol and other substances in the very same way. Perhaps they're not all laying waste to their lives. Perhaps they're all 'doing just fine' - yet there they are; sucking down toxins to 'have a good time' or to 'unwind' or to 'celebrate'. Why?

What they're missing is so much greater than what they're getting out of that bottle. This I know.