Notices

Feeling determined

Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling determined

Today is my first day of sobriety. I've tried it a few times and the lure of partying with friends (I'm 26 and all my friends seem to do everything with booze involved!) has always sucked me back in. I've messed up good relationships because of how wild I get and I no longer want to live like this. Last night was the final straw when I blacked out and ended up on the other side of the city in a car with people I didn't know! I am so lucky I wasn't hurt or worse. I know that wont be the case if I keep drinking.

This year I committed to do a 3 month period of sobriety and I remember how amazing I felt waking up ready to face the day. I'm so excited for those feelings to return. I just feel like I won't ever accomplish anything if I keep numbing myself with alcohol and putting off life.

Tonight I went to AA and it was a great meeting--I'm not sure if I'm going to fully jump into AA because the whole sponsor thing kinda intimidates me. Then again that is probably my alcoholic voice trying to hold on to control! Eek! Anyway going to that meeting left me feeling uplifted and hopeful. I CAN DO IT!!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi - It's an amazing feeling waking up without a hangover isn't it I was thinking yesterday, that not spending all day Sunday, trying to feel 'ok again' for Monday morning was awesome !
Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DAB

Good choice to try sobriety, Bluebluebelle!
AA is also a good choice, it saved my life!
I wish you all the best and any support I can offer.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi!

I relate big time - I am 25, was a big black-out drinker, have tried repeatedly to get and stay sober.

I found a sobriety that lasts once I honestly considered my drinking. I wanted a drink for the joyful buzz I'd get after the first one. I would always have more, even when I didn't think I would, and those drinks made me a burden to others and hurt my loved ones. I could no longer bear chasing that brief pleasure at the expense of others, and I believed that sobriety would bring me equal or greater pleasure if I worked for it. The second game-changer was shedding my AA insecurity. I am often the youngest person in the rooms and I used to avoid meetings out of feeling out of place. I came to realize that recovery for anyone is a miracle and no one is judging anyone else, no matter how old they are or how many meetings they attend or how long they have kept sober. We're all grateful to be there and happy to see as many other alcoholics as possible.

In regards to three months of sobriety - I am sure you can do it, but I have only found myself able to stay sober for long if I break it into days. Sometimes, hours. When I get the urge to drink I take a walk or call a friend or have a cookie. The urge goes away.

Hope this helps. Be well!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bluebluebelle!!

Sounds like you're well on your way, it all comes down to what works for you, Sobriety is the goal, but everyone achieves it in different ways.

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. It might help to realize that AA has helped millions into sobriety for over 75 years so something about it works. I’d suggest going to 90 meetings in 90 days without making any commitments like sponsors, steps, except the 1st. try to be open minded and listen to learn. Making decisions with a clear head will prove more beneficial. And as they used to say a lot “if you don’t like what we have to offer your misery is refundable.”

BE WELL