Notices

I'm just done

Old 07-06-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm just done

I signed up for this site on 6-24-14, but hadn't done anything with it. I don't even remember what inspired me to sign up originally. But now I know it is time and it is necessary. I typically drink a bottle of wine every night. But yesterday was different. I spent the day with someone that is messing with my head and my heart. I spent the evening reviewing the days events and before I knew it, it was 1:30 a.m., I am sitting on my porch and I am wasted. And very sad.
I have spent the day today making decisions. And this is what I have decided:
I am tired of being chronically dehydrated.
I am tired of being foggy in the morning.
I am tired of knowing that if someone I love needs my help after 6 p.m. at night, I won't be able to drive to them because I have been drinking.
I am tired of being unproductive because I would rather sit on my porch, drinking and smoking.
I am tired of drinking and smoking away my looks.
I am tired of allowing men to jerk me around because I don't believe I deserve anything better. Because I am flawed. Because I am an alcoholic.
It's so funny to me how many people don't believe that about me, that I am an alcoholic. I have a good job that I usually do well, I take good care of myself (other than the drinking and smoking), I have a cute house and a ton of friends (not all drinking buddies, thank gawd) and I always have a smile on my face. Even when I'm not drinking.
But I am an alcoholic. And I'm going to do something about it. I know my already good life will only get better. I want that. And it's time.
But I'm scared. I am a long term party girl and I don't know how to live any other way than the way I have been. It's hard for me to comprehend going out with friends and being sober. It's hard for me to visualize what I will do with myself after 5 p.m. I'm hoping that i will find inspiration in your stories.
So here I am. Looking forward to your comments and suggestions and support. Because I really need it.
Thank you for listening. :-)
Old 07-06-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You relate as very positive in your quest to make a better life for yourself. It's never too late. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of things!!

I think the biggest fear is how we will fill our time, that we'll be bored in the evenings, or our life will become boring without alcohol, but I would argue that our lives were already boring when we drank, becoming Sober merely proves it as we become worried about how much time we will have to fill, that we did nothing with but fill it with alcohol!!

You can do this, it'll be a learning curve, but it can be done!!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From one loooooooooooong time party girl to another...welcome. Go and buy yourself some nice new pajamas. Recovery requires a lot of self nurture and protection of your sobriety. Things will change... a lot if sobriety is truly what you want. I really hope so time2change. There are so many wonderful discoveries in sobriety.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're here and deciding to embark on your recovery journey.

For me, the early evening was the hardest time and I began to leave the house and walk, a lot. It helped me in many ways, far beyond my expectation. When I got home, an hour later, the craving time had passed and I could move into an evening routine. My suggestion is to make small changes regarding your activities. You'll be surprised how there is a ripple effect of positive change in your life.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you decided to stop drinking and join us.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your quick responses. I'm so glad I logged in and said something.
I'm thinking this will be part of my new and improved "after 5" routine. ;-)
I hope you all are having a great day and I look forward to getting acquainted.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome,
You've found an excellent resource for support.
So glad you're done with drinking. A new life starts today!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi time2change04!

I really liked your post. It is honest and earnest and positive.

Many times on SR a member will post about a craving or a relapse. And other members will invite them to look back at their first post. Heck, a lot of them will cut and paste it for you in their reply!

I gotta say, if that comes to pass with you, your first post will provide a great touchstone for continued motivation! You said it all really well!

Welcome to SR and I'm wishing you the most awesome sober life imaginable!

Best,
Melina
Old 07-06-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the recovery family.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Thank you so much for the post and welcome to SR!

You will find a ton of support here! I found that you need to keep yourself busy in the early days of recovery. I love to read so that is one thing (may i suggest Game of Thrones, its about 5000 pages). Having all the laundry/dishes/chores around the house is another.

Keep posting as well. We all need it as much as you do!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad you found us and joined. You'll always have amazing support and encouragement here.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

C23,
So far I have folded laundry, changed purses, made a salad and ate it, written a "to do" list for tomorrow and now I'm going to vacuum. The night, however, is still young. May give myself a pedicure and start working on my plan for world domination. I don't really know what I want to dominate yet, though, so I may put that off until tomorrow.
Thank you for the book suggestion. I, too, am an avid reader but haven't been indulging in it. I don't think I need to say why...
I have just started "The Buddha Walks Into a Bar".

Thank you all for the encouragement. Day one: so far, so good. Yay!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things time2change04

I defined myself as the party guy...it ended up I actually forgot that wasn't the real me.

It's been great to rediscover who I am really am, and to define myself in different ways.

I know it will be great for you too

D