Notices

Six weeks

Old 07-06-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six weeks

Six weeks of sobriety ... I honestly did not know I had it in me to stay sober this long. I was so lost and desperate for change when I started, but had no confidence that I could actually do this. Yet, here I am. And what have I learned?

I have learned about acceptance ... the #1 thing that has made this journey possible for me. Acceptance is a powerful concept. It is not about rolling over and giving up, it's not about throwing my hands in the air and throwing in the towel. It's an acknowledgement that I am not in control of everything around me ... and it is freeing to allow myself to just be in the moment.

I have learned about peace and tranquility. My life used to be chaos, I thrived on it, I created it ... I didn't know how to function without it. Now I read that and understand how sick that sounds. How sick was that need to create turmoil and bedlam in my life and in the lives of those around me. My life now, even this early on, is like calm waters compared to that.

I have learned how much better I can cope with the curve balls that life throws at me when I am sober. I've been handed a huge project at work and I know that I could not have taken it on if I was still drinking. I've been able to really be there for a friend in her time of loss. These are huge affirmations that my life is on the right path ... finally.

I have learned that this is a life-long journey, this thing we call sobriety. It does not scare me to think of it that way like it used to. "Never drink again" honestly overwhelmed me at first. I have redefined that statement ... I can drink again, but I can never drink like a normal person. I am an alcoholic and that will never change. Therefore, I can never drink. That kind of makes "never" seem a little easier to accept.

I have learned that being an alcoholic brings it's own little delights. I would never be here or in AA meetings if I wasn't one. I would not have met all the amazing people that I have if I wasn't one. So in that sense, I am grateful to be a recovering alcoholic. Gratitude is another thing that I had so little of before I got sober. It was always "poor me", selfish, self-centered drunk that I was. I have SO much to be grateful for and I see it and cherish it now.

Life is good at six weeks ... yes I have challenges and difficulties, but I also have a plan, and I have support, and I have faith ... for the first time in many years I actually have faith. I'm proud of my six weeks, but humble enough to know that I have not done it alone. Thanks everyone
Old 07-06-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Beautiful post, Holly. Congratulations on 6 weeks - I have a feeling there'll be many more!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Great Holly, brilliant job on 6 weeks.
Proud of you.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic stuff Holly, you've come a long way since when I first posted on your first thread about there's plenty of time to figure out all the questions you had about yourself at that time.

6 weeks later, Sobriety has answered a lot of those questions, sometimes it's alcohol itself that asks more questions than there are answers to, so in taking alcohol out of our lives our focus becomes a lot more clearer on the important things.

Keep pushing through!! You're doing it!!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a great post, H.
Very inspirational to me personally, and probably everyone else.
Keep up the positive energy!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post, congratulations on six weeks! That's fantastic.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six weeks sober.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Holly - and thank you for your post

D